Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cloud Software...........

Cloud Software...........

As I have been doing my research on laser engraving I am finding out a lot about software and what I will be needing.
    One thing I have found is that I am DEFINITELY going to be looking for the older versions.
    I stay as far away as possible from cloud anything......I Do NOT like the concept at all.

I don't mean this to sound harsh, because it's not meant that way, but do you understand what that even means? The cloud is a place to store data. No software we use runs off the cloud. It can store data to the cloud if you so desire. If you don't desire, then it doesn't save it there. I suspect what you're talking about isn't the cloud part of it, but rather than subscription model that software companies are using.

Personally, I fought it tooth and nail. I complained and complained about how I'd never ever go to a subscription model. Then they had a deal, the entire Adobe Creative Suite for $29.95 a month for 6 months, with it ending up at $49.95 a month from that point on. I figured I'd try it.

Now? I love it. I really, really do. I get updates and bug fixes so much faster than before, and the amount of software I have at my disposal is unbelievable. I use it to design for our clients, I use it to make video clips, I use it to build our website, etc. All for $50 a month.

The big argument is typically "What if they raise the price to $100 a month?". Well, they haven't, so I'll worry about that when it happens. Or, "Yeah, but if I stop the subscription, then I can't use the software any more and I can run my business". Well, if your business can't afford $50 a month to have tools to do the job for your clients, then your business is in deep trouble anyway.

I'm REALLY happy with it. You download the software, full versions, and install the software directly to your computer. It also does NOT have to be connected to the internet to use it. It uses the internet connection to verify your subscription every so often, but that's all it's using it for.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I am very happy you like the cloud....... to each their own..
    I on the other hand I DO NOT like cloud computing, cloud storage, cloud anything. I do not trust it.
    I will maintain my systems and software in a fog free environment.

My important systems are not internet dependent. nor will they ever be. If that means I have to use older software, then so be it.
    The work I do does not require the latest bells and whistles.
    I do not pay bills over the internet, My bank is only a mile away.
    Am I paranoid? No.... I just prefer a safer less complicated life.

Have a great weekend and Memorial day.
    Last edited by William A. Foster; 05-23-2015 at 7:58 PM.

Not sure what good your statement does on the forum. If you want to use older software more power to you. Did you have a question? Most of the newer software is pay per month, if that's what you are referring to as cloud?
    Last edited by Keith Winter; 05-23-2015 at 8:12 PM.

William are you referring to the glowforge software or the cloud based cad software like adobe and such. I'm not totally sure but I think their quite different. One is going to try and run the laser from software based on the internet, which like I said the way people talk here might not work to well do to bad connection speeds and the like, the other is a subscription based software which is stored on your computer and used to do the design work for the laser but you pay a fee for its use and you get updated and fixed bugs like forever as long as you pay the fee. If I have this totally wrong some one help me please.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Bert, I am referring to the cloud based cad and adobe software with their monthly fees.

For a hobbyist that want's to make a few bucks and a small business this pay per month stuff is just not practical or economically feasible..... Not gonna pay 40 or 50 bucks a month for software that I may only use a small portion of..... Just looked and I see adobe has a 9.95 per month photo only version.... not payin 10 bucks a month either, I just don't like the cloud and monthly dues...... Yes I am so tight I squeak when I walk.... Or maybe that's just old age and bad knees....

What I need is some good old fashioned personal on site software that does the job I need done.

Clean rastor and vector files, I don't need a bunch of special effects.... The image doesn't translate to a high tech wood burner very well.

For those of you that make this sort of stuff a business that they are making a living off of I understand where you are coming from with this.... Doesn't mean I agree but we don't have to... It's your business and I make my living in other areas ... This is just a hobby that I hope to make a small business that will pay for itself and make a couple of bucks to boot.

I get tired of being nickel and dimed every time I turn around .... The gov is ding a fine job of that.
    Last edited by William A. Foster; 05-23-2015 at 10:47 PM.

Guess I'm getting old.

I like having the package in my hands. Cloud software which does exist in the CNC world has it's place, but if the Internet goes down, then you can you run your machine? Just a question? But on the plus side updates are done on the server so you will not have to deal with that, and also if you re-format your machine or it crashes then you still have the software and data.

Quote Originally Posted by William A. Foster View Post
    Bert, I am referring to the cloud based cad and adobe software with their monthly fees.

For a hobbyist that want's to make a few bucks and a small business this pay per month stuff is just not practical or economically feasible..... Not gonna pay 40 or 50 bucks a month for software that I may only use a small portion of..... Just looked and I see adobe has a 9.95 per month photo only version.... not payin 10 bucks a month either, I just don't like the cloud and monthly dues...... Yes I am so tight I squeak when I walk.... Or maybe that's just old age and bad knees....

What I need is some good old fashioned personal on site software that does the job I need done.

Clean rastor and vector files, I don't need a bunch of special effects.... The image doesn't translate to a high tech wood burner very well.

For those of you that make this sort of stuff a business that they are making a living off of I understand where you are coming from with this.... Doesn't mean I agree but we don't have to... It's your business and I make my living in other areas ... This is just a hobby that I hope to make a small business that will pay for itself and make a couple of bucks to boot.

I get tired of being nickel and dimed every time I turn around .... The gov is ding a fine job of that.
    Last edited by Clark Pace; 05-24-2015 at 11:16 AM.
    Redsail x700, 50watt & Shenhui 350, 50 watt

I read this whole thread and in my head I pictured crotchety old people screaming "When I was your age...!!"

Cloud software is cheaper and more cost effective for end-users while simultaneously cheaper and more profitable for software developers. Adobe maintains a subscription for client installed applications. You can still operate offline. The sky is not falling. And yes, owning adobe products via the subscription is way cheaper for you, enjoy your savings.

Oh, soon cars will all be electric too. FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hilton View Post
    I read this whole thread and in my head I pictured crotchety old people screaming "When I was your age...!!"

Cloud software is cheaper and more cost effective for end-users while simultaneously cheaper and more profitable for software developers. Adobe maintains a subscription for client installed applications. You can still operate offline. The sky is not falling. And yes, owning adobe products via the subscription is way cheaper for you, enjoy your savings.

Oh, soon cars will all be electric too. FYI.
    Crotchety and old...Yup.... Screaming, Nope...

It's not good to allow yourself to be so dependent on things that are so far out of your control..... And things that have access to areas of your life they should not have.
    As to your math on renting vs owning...... Not sure how you figure that..
    Always have a backup plan.
    And.... since I'm at it..... Electric cars?.... Not in my garage..............

William, the problem (one of them) is that most people on this forum are using modern software. If you go some other route, to "save yourself some money", then you'll isolate a lot of people's ability to help you when you need help (and you will need help). That's your choice.

CorelDraw X7 Full version is $499.00 and you own it.
    Adobe Illustrator CS6 is $599 and you own it.

If you don't like spending money, I'm guessing Inkscape for free would be your best route.

If you buy the right lasers, then they don't care what you use. You can engrave from Microsoft Excel or Word if you want. You could even engrave from Notepad if you wanted to.

Good luck!
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by William A. Foster View Post
    It's not good to allow yourself to be so dependent on things that are so far out of your control..... And things that have access to areas of your life they should not have.
    As to your math on renting vs owning...... Not sure how you figure that..
    For some arbitrarily low value of "dependent". If you really need that level of control over your digital life, your only real option is Linux and open-source software...I guess everybody needs a hobby, but that's a bit too much hassle even for this retired software engineer.
    I'm still using Corel X4 simply because there aren't any features in the newer versions that I need. OTOH, I have the $10/month subscription-based Adobe PSCC: it will take several years at that price to catch up with the purchase price of the previous PS versions.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Hi,

I'm not talking about adobe? I'm talking about online laser cutting software? There are few companies that are starting to do that I believe, and 3d printers etc... That would be my biggest concern? Newer ways are not always better? And sometimes they are a lot better.
    Redsail x700, 50watt & Shenhui 350, 50 watt

Well I have a 3D printer on the way and trying to learn 3D as I know regular CAD and own AutoCAD Lt 2008. So I found a web based very simple 3D Cad program, TinkerCAD and all my files are stored in the "cloud" or someplace anyway. It may be all I need or I may need something with more features, but for now its the cloud for me!
    Forgot to add, its free for now and IF I need added features its $9.95 a month, cheaper by the year.
    Last edited by Bill George; 05-24-2015 at 1:13 PM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

William,

As a hobbyist I can certainly understand your frustration with software subscriptions regardless of the math. I've been using CorelDraw 12 (found a legit copy on eBay, think it was well under $150) for the past 2+ years, but am extremely interested in an Adobe Illustrator plugin that would allow me to expand what I can do into new areas of interest and perhaps bring in enough money to pay back the cost of Illustrator & the plugin. I'm still trying to decide between buying Illustrator CS6 outright or a legitimate older 'suite' version.

Roy
    Roy
    CorelDraw 12, Inkscape, TurboCAD 19
    Homemade 3-axis 18x51" CNC router
    Vectric Aspire 8, PhotoVCarve, Mach 3
    EurekaZone track saw system

I think you can pretty much do everything you need to do on a laser design wise with photoshop cs 1 or 2. I would buy a copy of those you are done. Corel Draw is much easier to use than illustrator and has tons of support for laser engraving and it really has a steep learning curve if you are jumping right in.

For me I was going to finally buy Dreamweaver to design websites and that is how I was introduced to the whole adobe cloud deal. I was really mad and didn't but it of course. I just really really didnt like the idea of it all.
    Epilog Mini 18 30 watt
    GCC Pinnacle/Laser PRO Mercury 25x18 30 watt (J48-2S Tube is down)
    Corel Draw X5