Thread: Replacement spindle for Delta Drill Press 11-990

Replacement spindle for Delta Drill Press 11-990

Does anyone know where I could get a replacement spindle for a Delta drill press, model 11-990 (or DP 300)? I was very surprised to find out that this common part is NLA at every supplier I checked. The part number is 1343776. I realize that this drill press is just a homeowner quality Chinese made machine, but it has served me well and I don't want to just throw it away.

What is wrong with the current spindle?

Thanks for the reply. The current spindle is bent. I messed it up drilling metal. I tried removing the chuck, cleaning the surfaces and re-seating it.

Is the spindle truly bent, or is the taper where the chuck mounts damaged from a slipping chuck? I have had a damaged taper re-turned, along with a new chuck with good results.

John

Craig,
    Unfortunately Delta is swirling in the bottom of the bowl towards the drain. If you haven't heard they have ben sold a couple times recently and the parts have been lost/ sold off. I would guess if you can't find one on e-bay you are out of luck and should buy something else(non-Delta) new or used. A machinist might be able to fix but it might be more expensive then something else.
    Cary

Craig,

Here's a company showing one available. It would certainly be worth calling them to insure they have one in stock. http://www.toolpartspro.com/delta-pa...343776-spindle
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by John McClanahan View Post
    Is the spindle truly bent, or is the taper where the chuck mounts damaged from a slipping chuck? I have had a damaged taper re-turned, along with a new chuck with good results.
    John
    Unfortunately, yes. If I spin the spindle in the quill, I can see the tapered end wobble. That's good information though about having a damaged taper re-turned. Thank you. - Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Craig,

Here's a company showing one available. It would certainly be worth calling them to insure they have one in stock. http://www.toolpartspro.com/delta-pa...343776-spindle
    Thanks for the link. There is no "Add to Cart" button. I'll give them a call though. - Craig

Craig,

I went back and looked at the parts breakdown for the D/P and it shows "DISC" short for Discontinued......Sorry to get your hopes up unnecessarily!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Craig,

I went back and looked at the parts breakdown for the D/P and it shows "DISC" short for Discontinued......Sorry to get your hopes up unnecessarily!
    No problem Ken. I really appreciate everyone's replies. Cool forum! - Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Worley View Post
    No problem Ken. I really appreciate everyone's replies. Cool forum! - Craig
    Search over at OWWM... Those guys will hit the spindle with a hammer to bend it back strait... Seems to work fine on impossible to find old spindles...

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Stokes View Post
    Search over at OWWM... Those guys will hit the spindle with a hammer to bend it back strait... Seems to work fine on impossible to find old spindles...
    Search but don't ask. The drill press in question does not have the right pedigree to be discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Stokes View Post
    Search over at OWWM... Those guys will hit the spindle with a hammer to bend it back strait...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yWdZAC1w2I
    http://www.rvplane.com/pdf/drill_press_tune-up.pdf

Just take it easy with the hammer so you don't break anything. But then again at this point what do you have to loose?

Mike

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    When you take exact measurements (you need to know the tapers) you might be able to find one on Amazon, nothing to lose.

Thanks for the info guys! I'll give it a try.