Thread: Bosch 12" SCMS problems with brake

Bosch 12" SCMS problems with brake

Wondering if any of you guys have issues with the electronic brake on your sliding compound miter saw? I've had it for a little over 10 years and worked it hard so this by no means surprises me, I would just like to rectify it as having the brake increases work efficiency greatly. I've read online that it could be either the brushes or switch on the handle. I inspected the carbon brushes and they look clean, not too worn for how long I've had them. The switch was packed with dust, so I blew it out with shop air and cleaned it, but that didn't solve it either. It is random though, sometimes the brake works, sometimes it doesn't and rolls to a stop. I also checked the blade as some said it could be loose which simulates the same effect of not having the electronic brake working. The local Bosch dealer says to fix it the entire saw has to be taken apart and that it is extensive to fix it. I'm hoping it's just a user replaceable part like most power tool issues.

Thanks!

I have the same issue with my 12" DeWalt slider. It took 15 years to happen. I still have it and am interested in any solution that may come up on this thread. I got a deal on a new Bosch that I am using now.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

This happened to my Hitachi slider. I ended up taking the switch apart and cleaned the contact that went to the brake and it's working perfectly again. Blowing out the dust won't help if there is debris stuck to the contacts and preventing them from making a good connection.

Alan,

Perhaps it's time for a new switch then. I took mine apart and saw normal signs of flash and wear for what it is and how long I have had it. From what I understand it's either the brushes, switch, or coil with regards to user replaceable parts. Still not bad for an 11 year old saw that I have used professionally since the day I bought it.

IMG_20150525_210257592_HDR.jpg

Contacts/contact housing

Did you try burnishing the contacts? The one contact appears to be pitted.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

IMG_20150525_210315656_HDR.jpg

Ken,

I didn't, I just wanted to take a look to see what was going on and shot some cell phone photos. The contacts look about how they should with as much use as they have had and time frame. The switch is only about $15 and will give fresh new contacts so I figure it's the more reliable option for the years to come.

If you have some fine emery cloth, you could try "LIGHTLY" burnishing them before reinstalling them. That could be a short term fix while you wait for the new switch.

Even an ink eraser might be coarse enough to burnish them....not a pencil eraser but an ink eraser....
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....