Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does every hobby take things to the extreme?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    One of the problems with the extremes in any hobby is the newbies see all this fancy stuff the veterans have and think they need all that just to start the hobby. It might discourage some, or cause them to buy way more than they need.
    Right! I was part of a thread recently in which a guy who was obviously a newbie was asking what kind of band saw he needed. Without even understanding what he wanted to do, someone advised him to buy a very expensive European monster. I wonder how many prospective woodworkers come to SMC, get advice like that, and either get discouraged or just abandon the idea of woodworking altogether. I always try to explain in those situations that it isn't necessary to buy industrial grade equipment just to get started.

Larry, I enjoy the hobby of napping as well. Keep in mind, to nap well, you should follow the sleep expert's advice. Always follow the same routine prior to the nap session as this tells your body and mind to prepare for sleep. The place where you nap should be completely dark. It should also have an ambient temperature of around 65 degrees. You should not eat, smoke, or drink alcohol 4-5 hours prior to your nap session. You should invest in the best sleep system you can afford; personally I have a top of the line memory foam mattress matched to my body weight, a top of the line adjustable foundation, and an ergonomic neck support pillow.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    .....hope to enjoy it for years to come....
    My plan is to live forever.

So far, so good.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Come on Glenn,

Reweaving toilet paper is simply ridiculous. I simply run mine through an embossing machine with my family crest on it. Anything more is supercilious.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.