Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Idiot proof strap clamp?

Idiot proof strap clamp?

Yesterday on my way to The Bathurst Estate, I stopped in @ Highland WW and picked up some stuff.

Please observe the picture below

You will see 4 strap clamps.

The two blue ones on the left cost less than $1 each (included for sake of discussion).

The middle one is what I normally use.

The one on the right is what this post is really about (on sale yesterday ~$18)-the little handle is hard to turn to reel the strap back in-is easier just to grab the reel by the edge and turn that instead.
    Anyone else have that clamp, and find the handle hard to turn?

It holds good pressure when tightening the long vertical red bar.

DSCN0490.JPG
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

I have some like that they wind very easily.

I have the Bessey and the winding crank is hard to turn when reeling in slack but the tightening handle turns easily. I have the econo models as well and use a nut driver to tighten--faster and easier than the little wrench.

Blog Entries
    I also have the Bessey and it is not difficult to turn. I do wish the handle was an inch longer but, I just went out and pulled out 20-odd inches of strap and rewound it a few times without issue. I would exchange it and try the replacement at the store to be sure the one you have now is defective. That is; they may just be like that now ;-( With two of us responding with no issue I would make the effort. Otherwise it will bug you every time you use it ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

David - The Cosmic Rule on Tools expressly prohibits walking out of Highland with only one thing.

Either show us the rest of the haul, or you are going on report - you'll have to empty the DC collection bins of all Atlanta-area Creekers for 6 months as penance.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Kent's requested HWW gloat

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    David - The Cosmic Rule on Tools expressly prohibits walking out of Highland with only one thing.

Either show us the rest of the haul, or you are going on report - you'll have to empty the DC collection bins of all Atlanta-area Creekers for 6 months as penance.
    OK, ready or not. I am bored with TV for now-so out went the cat from my la.... I've had my nap, so........

First, the rust preventive paper that I saved this time from the LN stuff (takes me some time to catch on):

DSCN0499.JPG

Then, the extra blades for my #4, and 5 1/2:

(no-I oil them up so they don't need to be kept in above paper):
    DSCN0498.JPG

Next, after reading some back threads about waxing tops, I thought a few more chemicals were in order, and the layout dye:

DSCN0492.JPG

Then, this is obvious to all:
    DSCN0503.JPG

Next, the unneeded waterstone holder. The tip of the screwdriver points out some O-rings to ensure the middle block stays centered.... Also, in the frame are my pliers I use to manage the knobs on the MKII jig.

DSCN0496.JPG

And, bringing up the tail end is the Camillia Oil thing and an angle gauge setter that was on sale for $8. It's not what I thought when I wrote it on the list (the list I gave Sidney @ HWW-who then went and retrieved all the stuff). When I got home, I discovered it.....what is it good for?

DSCN0505.JPG

Probably the rest of this should be in the Dye and stain thread:

Then, the ongoing science experiment since Kent's instillation of some confidence in me.......

the first picture is the scale used to weigh the TransFast, the second is really cool....the magnetic stirrer going to town in the boiling hot water after a load of TransFast this AMDSCN0489.JPGDSCN0485.JPG

Samples are being run now.
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Quote Originally Posted by David Ragan View Post
    And, bringing up the tail end is the Camillia Oil thing

DSCN0505.JPG

the scale used to cut and weigh legal powder for the first time [the TransFast],

DSCN0489.JPG

The Camillia Oil Thing is great, IMO.

Fixed the rest of the post for you..........
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

What is the angle gauge for? Put in screw threads?
    David

The Bessey I had was hard to crank, didn't keep it long.
    I think at one time or the other I have had all of those, now I have sold them and just have the one handed type, Wolfcraft and a few other sell them, Menards, Sears Outlet, Rockler, and Amazon from Wolfcraft.
    They would with just one hand and they are great. The strap is spring loaded and when you pull the little trigger it will retract the strap, then all you have to do to get it tight is to squeeze the handles

index.jpg
    Last edited by Bill Huber; 05-24-2015 at 10:42 PM.

No issue using the strap on the bessie. I do use the crank with the wooden handle loose though.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Yes, I have the Bessey band clamp in your photo and yes, I found the strap a little hard to retract. I still like it fairly well though. Now, I am interested in the clamp Bill Huber mentioned. He has recommended a few things that I eventually bought and liked.

I don't have any issues with cranking my Bessey strap clamp but it does irritate me the way the corners always fall over.

I have a couple of these strap clamps, one by Wolfcraft is easy to work with , has a 1.5'' Nylon strap but the other one with a crank handle has a metal strap that is a pain to use, when I'm done with a project I always have to wrestle with it to put it back in the closed/rewound position, the crank handle keeps fighting back and wants to unwind.
    It wasn't cheap either.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    The Bessey I had was hard to crank, didn't keep it long.
    I think at one time or the other I have had all of those, now I have sold them and just have the one handed type, Wolfcraft and a few other sell them, Menards, Sears Outlet, Rockler, and Amazon from Wolfcraft.
    They would with just one hand and they are great. The strap is spring loaded and when you pull the little trigger it will retract the strap, then all you have to do to get it tight is to squeeze the handles

index.jpg
    I'm with Bill, these are great and, bought from the right source, inexpensive.
    Do like you always do,,,,,get what you always get!!

Quote Originally Posted by ken masoumi View Post
    the other one with a crank handle has a metal strap that is a pain to use, when I'm done with a project I always have to wrestle with it to put it back in the closed/rewound position, the crank handle keeps fighting back and wants to unwind.
    It wasn't cheap either.
    Ken,
    Is that one a Merle clamp? I have considered getting one.
    Thanks,
    Gene