Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Premium lathes for spindles and small-medium bowls?

[
    The feature that is straining my brain the most at this point is the swing capacity. I started out thinking I would never be interested in turning large bowls and plates so swing distance did not concern me much. I see videos where guys are turning table bases, table tops etc., that are not bowls but take advantage of the larger swing capacity. It is the things I can't conceive of needing that worry me. Then again how many large objects might I really end up wanting to turn...[/QUOTE]

I recently moved from a 16" swing lathe (Jet 1642) to a 24" swing lathe (Laguna 2436) and the convieniance of being able to move the banjo back and forth across the workpiece is really nice. Even turning a 12" bowl on the jet I was unable to move the banjo without it hitting the bowl blank.
    The added weight or mass of a larger swing lathe is also heavenly.

Blog Entries
    I talked to Oneway today. They apparently do not care for sliding heads. Instead they build their lathes so the turner can work on the outboard as well as inboard side of the head. Seems like a good idea to me, I suppose like anything there are disadvantages. I just wonder what disadvantages there would be compared to sliding the head all the way to the other end of the frame?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holbrook View Post
    I talked to Oneway today. They apparently do not care for sliding heads. Instead they build their lathes so the turner can work on the outboard as well as inboard side of the head. Seems like a good idea to me, I suppose like anything there are disadvantages. I just wonder what disadvantages there would be compared to sliding the head all the way to the other end of the frame?
    Well the obvious would be that you have to have room to access the outboard side. I keep my tools to that side so I have mine close to the wall. It wouldn't be a problem if you had it more to the middle of a room. The other would be a bed extension on the outboard side to use. I think it comes down to preference, both are fine machines. You could always buy one of each!

I have owned a OneWay 1640 for around 8 years now and love it. I have the outboard attachment that makes it a wonderful short bed lathe for bowls. I have the tailstock end angled toward the wall in my shop with the headstock end angled out about 5 feet. This allows me to stand and turn comfortably on the outboard end. It doesn't take much room out of my shop except for the length of the lathe. Just a heads up one can place the 24" outboard bed extension on the tailstock end of the lathe and have a 64" bed for spindle work if needed. Here is a picture of me standing where I would turn on the outboard side of my lathe. I've turned a great deal on PM"S and the big jets at the high school shops I use to teach at and while they are good lathes they are not equal to the top end lathes I've had the pleasure to turn on.
    Jack

As I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, I have a Oneway with an outboard bed. I do all of my hollowing on the outboard side where I can comfortably face the piece instead of bending over the bed. A safer way to do it because I'm not in the line of fire. I have a banjo on both sides of the headstock. If I've turned the piece between centers I merely move the piece still mounted on the chuck or faceplate to the outboard side. I turn left handed so I hollow in reverse. With the Oneway chucks I can lock the chuck or faceplate to the spindle. I have a remote on-off switch so I can move that where I want it. It's A system that has worked well for me for many years and hundreds of turnings. I can see no disadvantage here at all. I have a spindle lathe and a bowl lathe all in one.
    Last edited by Wally Dickerman; 05-28-2015 at 7:42 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for posting Jack. I have been trying to find someone who uses a Oneway 1640.

Sounds like the Oneway 1640 with the outboard bed would be similar to a Robust Sweet Sixteen with the removable section in the inboard bed. The Oneway would offer the advantage of working in an arguably better/safer location. The Robust would offer a little more capacity in a more compact package. Both would offer a bed extension that could be used in two different locations.

Wally it does sound like the set up you and Jack use is very flexible allowing the turner to switch rapidly between spindles and hollowing bowls. Having the ability to work either spindles or bowls on the same lathe with the same set up sounds like a major bonus. The only issue being the longer length of the machine.

It looks like one might want two banjo's with a 1640? The outboard extension looks very sturdy. I think the object on the end is to get the banjo up to normal spindle height from the lower bed position? I can't figure out what is right in front of it though?
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 05-29-2015 at 9:34 AM.

I do have a banjo for both inboard and outboard side of my lathe. The outboard has a 24" swing so the taller outboard banjo allows one to use the same tool rest for both ends of the lathe. The Outboard bed came with a tool rest that had a longer post so one could use it on the outboard side with the shorter inboard banjo. I used it this way for about a year and went a head and bought the outboard banjo and like it better. One other thing that you can see in the picture is the riser block. It allows you to use the tailstock on the outboard side of the lathe. I don't remember if the riser block came with the outboard bed or if it was extra? I can take the tailstock off on this lathe using one hand without a problem. On the PM's I've turned on one had better have a good hold with both hands when taking the tail stock off or putting it on.
    Jack

Blog Entries
    More helpful insight into the most useful options for the 1640 Jack. Should I order one I will keep your considerable experience in mind. I will study the Oneway parts list and pictures soon so I know the specific parts of which you speak. I suspect a Oneway with the extra outboard gear will cost close to what a Robust Sweet 16 will. Those are the two most attractive options for me at the moment.

Mike, when I bought my lathe it was the only brand of high end lathe available made in North America , that I knew of anyway. I look at my lathe as if it is two lathes in one. Inboard one has a top end spindle lathe and on the outboard side one has a 24" swing short bed lathe that makes turning bowls a pleasure. I haven't really looked at another lathe since buying this one. With the extra's I have on this one it does add up to around what the sweet 16 would cost, but if I'm not mistaken the Sweet 16 doesn't have the short bed lathe capability of the 1640? While there are many great turners using longer bed lathes to turn wonderful bowls and HF's on I would never want to turn either bowls of HF's on anything but a short bed lathe or a sliding headstock lathe which functions in the same manner. This being said if I was to buy a Robust which I feel are top shelf all the way I would bite the bullet and get the American Beauty no question. If they had been in business when I got my lathe there is a good possibility that I would have bought one. I just feel it is important to support companies that make a great product in our county when possible. I also believe in buying the best the first time around and saving one the hassle of always wanting to upgrade later on. Im sure that Robust has great customer service, but I have first hand experience with One Way's customer service and it was incredible to say the least. They stand behind their product period.
    Jack

Blog Entries
    More great info. Jack.

I have had several suggestions to "bite the bullet" and buy the Robust American Beauty. I know several people here have the Liberty which at least on the surface sounds like it will handle my needs. The 28", standard bed, spindle length should handle just about anything I would want to make spindle wise. A 16" extension would accommodate a 44" spindle lengths should I discover a need for longer spindles. The sliding head would provide all the distance I can imagine needing for bowls, plates or even round table tops.

Looks like I could save a little money and get a better base if I did not order legs but built a base? Are there trade offs other than time and materials if I built a base?

I own the American Beauty and must say it is built for big bowls and large hollow forms. The liberty will work well for your needs. I suggest calling Bret and talk to him about the stand option. Maybe he could put you in contact with individuals who have built their own and save you time and effort. The Robust base is well designed and rock solid.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

If money is an issue, then build your own stand. It is a square tube that stands on edge. If money is not a big issue, you will save hours of time buying the standard base, and the telescoping legs. A wonderful set up.

robo hippy

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the thoughts Bob & Reed.
    Building a bench/cabinet to hold the machine could provide storage space to store the tools used on the lathe, maybe even spindles, legs, rungs I am working on. The Robust Liberty may benefit from additional weight and a sturdy thick surface as well, at least compared to a Oneway 1640 at 600lbs. I imagine the cost is restricted leg room around the lathe.

The Oneway 1640 seems to offer both a bowl and spindle lathe without any setup, if purchased with the outboard bowl extension. The Robust Liberty will do much the same work but would require setup procedures and more money. I am concerned that working bowls on the Sweet 16 might not be great for my sore back.

Blog Entries
    I am a little confused regarding lathe prices I read on this forum. I have seen a couple posts where the Robust American Beauty is said to cost around $10,000. The price I see on the Robust site for a standard bed 2 HP machine is $6,595. I also see many people mention the Powermatic 3520B as a more cost effective alternative to the "Premium" lathes. The list prices I see currently listed for a 3520B and a Oneway 1640 are about the same. I think the Oneway 1640 is comparable or greater than the Powermatic in basic size/design and components.

I suspect that many people who buy premium lathes go for the largest motor, bed extension/tool rest for working on bowls off one end of the lathe, extra banjo.....I suspect the other price difference occurs because many people buy the mass produced machines at a discounted price? I wonder why more people do not have the Oneway 1640 as it seems to me to be a more versatile machine than the popular Powermatic 3250B, even if Oneway does not offer the discounted prices. Maybe the fact that Oneway and Robust build lathes as needed, resulting in longer delivery time frames turns some buyers off? It looks to me like a Robust Liberty can be bought for $500-$1000 of the cost of the Powermatic too, especially if the purchaser is willing to build a cabinet/stand. I just do not see the gigantic price differences so many seem to refer to in regard to Oneway and Robust products.

I know what you mean Mike, I've read comparisons of the big PM, the 4224B to the Robust AB. That's kind of an apples to apples comparison. The PM 4224B is about $7500. A Robust AB with 3HP and Tilt-Away is about $7900, made in America, much nicer construction and way more ergonomic + that includes the Tilt-Away, the coolest thing since sliced bread.

The thing is, the machines you mention, the PM 3520, Oneway 1640 and Robust Liberty are really not apples to apples. I think all of those machines are laid out different, but all are pretty good. I chose the Robust Sweet 16 because it does pretty much everything the PM3520 and Oneway 1640 does and fits my shop a whole lot better. Cost is about 6K. If you're looking in the 5K range, then the Liberty without legs is a really nice machine. I've seen one and they are every it as nicely made as the rest of the Robust line.