Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arts & Crafts Style Door

Arts & Crafts Style Door

I've been working on a library door project sor awhile, and I thought I'd share a few pic's and see what everyone thinks.
    The door is made of Brazillian Cherry, It is 29 1/2", by 81". The stained glass insert panel came from an ebay purchase 3 or 4 years ago. It came from Canada, where apparently it was part of a restaraunt diner. The door handle came off of eBay also. It is from England, and it was a must have for this door.
    All the joinery is M&T that has been epoxy glued and pegged. The bottom and top required a rather elaborate 3 piece M&T joint due to the inset of the glass and upper and lower rails(?).
    The glass is removable and is held in place by wooden strips and brass screws on the backside. I'm not too sure of the effect, but LOML says that it makes it look more period authentic. As long as the customer (LOML) is happy, I'm happy.
    I was trying to catch an Arts& Crafts, Limbert style appearance for the door, hopefully I made it, if not, it is still a very pretty door.
    This is the second door I've made with a stained glass panel. I learned alot from the first and incorporated the lessons into this one. I've also learned alot from the posts by Mark Singer, and Bob Smalser, especially on stock selection and joinery techniques. The material for the stiles has to be dead straight. There is no way to pull a door into square. The M&T cannot be forced, everything has to fit up square, when dry, and your bench has to be dead flat, thanks for that tip Mark.
    The epoxy glue up was a first also, and a lot of the feedback that I recieved here was critical to the success of the glue up. Thanks to everyone that provided me feedback on epoxy techniques. I used 'em all at one time or the other.
    I still have to hang the door, but it's just too hot in the shop right now. Another day.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mike that door is simply stunning great design, fit and finish.

Mike -
    That is one fantastic door. Very inspiring.
    Great choice of wood and hardware.
    Thanks for posting.
    JF
    JF
    Apprentice Wooddorker
    Future Amputee

There is absolutely, positively no way on God's good green Earth that I can possibly let LOML see that door!!! I know her tastes and your wonderful creation has her name written all over it! Mike, that is simply beautimus! Looks super!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Now that is a proper door. Great job, Mike!

Great job on the door, beautiful work.

Richard

That is a most outstanding A&C style entry door. I like the pinning detail you used, and the glass is a real WOW piece. Oh ya, the hardware is perfict for this door. By the way, the wood selection and finish could not be improved upon.
    Did I mess anything?

I agree,

Absolutely Beautiful.

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Pretty cool. Can't wait to see how you surround it cause you have set the bar high. Excellent work.

The way you brought it all together is absolutely stunning Mike. Bravo!

Great Door! That is inspiring.

Pete P.

Wow, that looks awesome!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the kind words folks. It's been an interesting project, and Sam, you are right, I'm still a little concerned about the casing work.
    The casing is going to attempt to keep the overall theme. Sort of "Falling Water" but with softer edges and lines, done in Brazillian Cherry also. All the woodworking is done, but due to the heat and humidity, I've been sanding at nite, and applying finish a 5am, it's been kinda slow going.
    The door is actually the final piece for the library project. It was meant to compliment the bookshelves that I've already built, and the choice of brazillian cherry will hopefully make for a "warm" atmosphere inside the room.Time will tell though

Mike,

Stunning and beautiful - very inspiring.

Bob
    bob m

Mike,

Well done! True to the style and well executed!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"