Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: End table project completed

End table project completed

Hi, this is my first project posting here. I started out wanting to build a reproduction of a shaker table that I saw in a book, but ended up making a few changes. For instance, I put a taper on the underside of the top all around the edge because I liked how it looked, and used violin tuning pegs for drawer pulls.

The book I used had measurements of overall dimensions and a photo, but didn't have much in the way of a building plan to help someone understand the underlying construction. I built this primarily out of the finest Home Depot pine (the type my brother makes bird houses from) figuring that I would learn a lot on this first one, and then build a pair of "real" ones out of cherry. I think the cherry ones will go a lot quicker and come out nicer after building this one.

IMG_0783.JPGIMG_0784.JPGIMG_0785.JPGIMG_0778.JPGIMG_0787.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beautiful work!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

One heckuva nice piece........especially for a prototype.

The "real ones" will be as good, I'm sure - seems "better" would be hard to achieve.

Let us see them, if you will.

Also - the drawers - what did you do to support them - kickers & runners? Any photos of that detail? Worked out great - the reveal looks pretty good............
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

It's a fine take on a timeless form.

I particularly like the way it looks in a regular room.

Too many look great in a show, but overpower a living space.

The knobs are particularly sharp.

kudos

I like it! You must have watched some Norm Abrams' shows, because he always built a prototype. Good idea. I don't do it, then kick myself after.

Just finishing up a piece with a bottom-beveled top, like yours. I have done a few of such tops, and have settled on a thickness of 1", finished, for such tops, and a 3/8" vertical face. Need to get good 5/4 for such a top, but I think it is worth it.

Here is my Sketchup version of what you did, but with the top as I described. I panelized the side, which is recommended for dealing with wood movement. Either do that, or make the side out of plywood. You can take 12mm baltic birch and use it as a core, with skins of species you resaw and glue up.

Overall dims of my hallucination is 27.5 w x 19.25 d x 29 h.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice first posted project! Well done!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thanks for the comments. Here is a picture of the insides so you can see how the drawers are supported. This is the first piece I have ever made with drawers, and the book had no details on the insides, so I am sort of winging it. I did get some decent tips from this forum on how to size the drawers etc. and appreciate the benefit of the combined experience here.

I basically made "L" shaped cross section runners that capture the bottom edge of the drawer sides, and prevent lateral movement. The tops of the drawer sides are stopped from moving too far upward by the slide above it. I made the sides/back of the drawers and the slides from maple so they wear a bit better. The runners were left slightly proud of the pine parts so all the drawer/case contact is maple on maple. The drawer slides are attached to the sides, but not to the legs

Other details that you can see from this view are the sliding dovetails I cut to attach the sides to the legs. You can see spacers between the three cross pieces on the front side. Im not sure how the original was put together, but the sliding dovetail seemed the easiest way for me to get it to come together and all be square. You can also see the little clips I used to attach the top to the base.

IMG_0793.JPG

The two cherry end tables are just stacks of wood right now. I cut out blanks for the legs and have started cutting and sorting boards for the tops.

I am amazed that you bought the material from Home Depot. I have very seldom seen material of that appearance at one of those type places. I share Kent's opinion that the piece would look different with a different wood but I don't see how it could look much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott DelPorte View Post
    ............the book had no details on the insides, so I am sort of winging it.....
    Book, schmook. Tee it up, and swing for the fences - that's what I do.

I basically made "L" shaped cross section runners that capture the bottom edge of the drawer sides, and prevent lateral movement. The tops of the drawer sides are stopped from moving too far upward by the slide above it. I made the sides/back of the drawers and the slides from maple so they wear a bit better. The runners were left slightly proud of the pine parts so all the drawer/case contact is maple on maple. The drawer slides are attached to the sides, but not to the legs
    You dialed eight - the ball cleared the stadium, and is in the street outside.

Other details that you can see from this view are the sliding dovetails I cut to attach the sides to the legs. You can see spacers between the three cross pieces on the front side. Im not sure how the original was put together, but the sliding dovetail seemed the easiest way for me to get it to come together and all be square. You can also see the little clips I used to attach the top to the base.
    Well, then.........now that you are done with your first project, can't wait to see what you come up with, now that you have some experience.

Nicely done, Scott. Nicely indeed. Thanks for the post.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Not much I can add. When I looked at the thumbnails, I thought it was cherry. Great job!

The book I used for a plan was called "Making Authentic Shaker Furniture" by John G. Shea, and the dimensions are only slightly smaller than the ones you give for your version Gene. I like the idea of using something like sketchup to see how the proportions look, and panel construction seems like a good idea for the sides.

I actually picked up quite a few tips from here, such as finishing. Most of my woodworking has been building acoustic guitars, and I usually just use a padded shellac finish or in some cases sprayed lacquer. I wanted this table to be ok if someone set a wet glass on it so I started out trying to use varnish for the first time. I never got good enough to get a decent look brushing it on, so I tried spraying it. That was a disaster. So after much sanding, I came on here and saw people were using a wiping finish and applying with tshirts or paper towels. Wow, that was a huge help.

One question I had was on the use of "dust panels" I read in another book that these are used in Shaker construction, and it seems like they would be stronger than the flimsy rails on the front face of the table I built. Do any of you use dust panels on small tables like this?

Kent, heres a picture of the pile of wood which will my next furniture project. I put a spare pine leg in the picture for scale. Considering how slow I am at completing these things, it may start to look like tables by Christmas.

IMG_0798.jpg

I Also like it simple and clean,The top looks like it's as thin as a pencil,I bet it's not.Thanks for sharing.

...........Most of my woodworking has been building acoustic guitars, and I usually just use a padded shellac finish or in some cases sprayed lacquer.............. using a wiping finish and applying with tshirts or paper towels............ the pile of wood which will my next furniture project.
    Guitars? you were shilling, Scott - just laying in the tall grass waiting for us to ride by.

wipe-on - Scott brand Blue Paper towels.

Pile of wood - you are nearly there.

WOW!looks fabulous in pine..can't believe it looks soooooo good. Great job!
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

I really like the idea of using violin pegs. I may steal that idea from you.
    Mark Maleski