Thread: Need wear plate on old belt sander

Need wear plate on old belt sander

I have a old belt sander 3x24
    bosch 90031
    before bosch bought Stanley Power Tools In 1982 it was a Stanley industrial model 90031
    where can I find a wear plate that will fit?

she is a beast
    sad to retire her for such a simple part

thanks
    Last edited by phil harold; 05-24-2015 at 6:02 PM.
    Carpe Lignum

You might could make a new wear plate. That's what I did to keep my old belt sander running. In my case, the wear plate is a piece of sheet metal, bent down at the front, with a couple of holes for screws through that bent-down section. It was pretty easy to remake it.

Blog Entries
    You should be able to make a new one from shim stock. It comes in various thicknesses.

Skip the stainless and replace it with graphite cloth
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Fabric reinforced phenolic sheet is generally very highly abrasion resistant too - with the advantage that it's machinable on woodworking equipment like router tables, table saws and the like.

Not sure how well an abrasion resistant cotton fabric reinforced grade would last, but the stuff is commonly used for e.g. making bearings that run immersed in solids containing highly abrasive fluids.

Tufnol is the well known UK maker, not sure what the story in the US is: http://www.tufnol.co.uk/technical/te...materials.aspx

I'm with Steve- graphite cloth is the way to go. Make a flat metal "washer' to screw down over the fixed end (you may be able to cut down your old wear plate).