Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reestablishing the Bowler hat

Reestablishing the Bowler hat

I am working on putting the Bowler hat or Derby back into style. Feel free to help.

Bowler hat with saw web.jpgBowler hat with lamp web.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

I have no opinion on the bowler, but that lamp is intriguing.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I have no opinion on the bowler, but that bow tie is intriguing.
    Fixed it for you............
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I've been looking for a good one for years. Cheap ones never come big enough to fit my fat head, and real ones aren't cheap. I've checked them out at Christy's in London and they are very nice, but $350--ugh. I've found nice used ones, but never in a size approaching that of my head.

Blog Entries
    When I lived in Seattle, my job had me wearing a suit every day. I've been told it rains sometimes in Seattle, so I took to wearing a fedora. For formal occasions I switched to a nice bowler. It get broken out once or twice a year these days for special occasions.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Blog Entries
    20150526_103555.jpg

I'm all in.

Blog Entries
    ....although sideways, but still in.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses Yoder View Post
    I am working on putting the Bowler hat or Derby back into style. Feel free to help.

Bowler hat with saw web.jpgBowler hat with lamp web.jpg
    I wear a hat every day, but the bowler just doesn't look good on me, so it is a fedora in the winter and straw panama in the summer. I do have a Homburg for dress occasions. Similar to the bowler bur with a little bigger brim and a center dent.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    I've been looking for a good one for years. Cheap ones never come big enough to fit my fat head, and real ones aren't cheap. I've checked them out at Christy's in London and they are very nice, but $350--ugh. I've found nice used ones, but never in a size approaching that of my head.
    Here you go!http://www.delmonicohatter.com/Bailey-Hats/3816.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Moses Yoder View Post
    Don't sell yourself short. Bowler, bow tie and vest - it's a hat-trick!

You may be fighting a losing battle Moses. I tried it back in the mid sixties but no one bit. Wish I still had that bowler. It was a doozy.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I got the Bowler (derby) at Yoders Department Store in Shipshewana IN. It was $40, 100% felt I think. I did not research them much but figured it looked good, maybe was not the best quality but really is only going to be worn rarely for special occasions. They have sizes but you really would have to try them on. I think the one I have is the XL. The lamp is a Leacock and actually works very well. Part of my gas pressure appliance collection. I find stuff that I like cheap but cannot bear to sell it because I like it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

I have a bowler hat. It gets worn one day a year because it's green.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I wish I could wear hats, but hats look funny on me. There are 'hat' people and non-hat people. Some just look good in a hat. My dad looked good in his Stetson, whether it was a nice new, clean one, or his everyday one that was 10 years old looked it. Me, every hat looks bad on, so I don't even try.

The Bowler isn't in style? Someone forgot to tell our neighbor; he's 90.

I've never thought the bowler looks good on me either. I'm more of a fedora guy...and then it's an outdoorsy type, at that. I'm working on a handlebar mustache, though, so maybe I'll try the bowler again. It's seems a natural pairing.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)