Thread: Steel City parts. Are they available?

Steel City parts. Are they available?

I need a lower shaft and bearings for my 16" bandsaw. Does anyone know who to contact for parts?

Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Steel City is dead. I am guessing CS isn't going to be any help if they even pick up the phone. Pull the bearing and read the number stamped in it(sometimes the manual will have the bearing number). Any bearing shop, auto parts store, ebay, Google should be able to get it for you.

According to an earlier thread, Steel City ceased operations at the end of March 2015. Here's a quote and a toll free number for parts:

This email address is no longer in service.

Our offices are presently closed. Steel City Tool Works, LLC, will cease operations Tuesday, March 31st, 2015. For any questions regarding after sales service, please contact the distributor from whom you purchased your equipment.

For parts inquiries, please call 877-724-8665 beginning Wednesday, April 1st 2015.

Thank you
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

If all else fails try Sears Parts on line.TSears Orion/Steel City equipment and perhaps you can find the direct part number or an equivalent from their parts diagrams

I took the lower wheel assembly apart and got the a shaft out. It's probably really unlikey the shaft is bent wouldn't you think? When I spin it inside of the bearing I can see it wobble but visually it doesn't look bent so I'm guessing the bearing is shot, especially since the lower wheel wobble appread suddenly during use. I'd still like to have the shaft measured for run out just in case, and since it's currently apart replacing that would be easy assuming I can get the part.

When you guys need bearings pressed off/on where is typically a good place to have this done? If this is all it is I'm guessing that sourcing the bearings from any of the places that have been recommended shouldn't be too hard, right. The numbers on the bearings are NBK 6205Z.

When you guys need bearings pressed off/on where is typically a good place to have this done?
    I'd probably get the bearing from a bearings and drives type place and would ask there is they had any suggestions. If that didn't work, maybe an automotive machine shop? The trick at least around here would be to find a shop that was willing to do a simple low $ job. It does seem unlikely to me that a shaft would suddenly bend for no apparent reason.

Often, engine shops, like a local Napa dealer, who grind valves etc. will press bearings on and off.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....