Thread: cyclone seperator install

cyclone seperator install

I purchased this cyclone seperator from Bayshore Wholesale off eBay. I used my existing 2hp single stage grizzly collector that is 6 years old and still going strong. I was concerned I would have less suction with the cyclone but it is so much stronger due to no filters and venting outside. I have a total of $325.00 in all parts including the cyclone seperator. I am limited on funds and wanted to upgrade since getting a 26" woodmaster drum sander. Took about 20 total hours but so far its very worth the time and money invetsted. Its not a clear vue or Oneida but its a quality seperator and it was very inexpensive. I used my existing 5" trunk line and then drop to 4" at all machines. I have a gate on all machines and only use one at a time. I am going to upgrade machines to 5" as some point.

I know there are plenty of Creekers who have limited funds so this might be a fun weekend project.

Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here are a couple more pics

Bill, thanks so much for the thread. I have been struggling with what to do myself. I hope you don't mind a few questions.

I have been thinking about venting outside and wonder how big the hole through the wall should be. I will be going through brick and don't want anything larger than I need. I use my DC the same way in the fact that I have gates at each machine and use only one at a time. My current 1 1/2 HP Jet has done okay but struggles with the jointer and planer. Do you feel 2HP is enough or do you still struggle with certain tools. I have no lengths larger than 20 ft.

Thanks again for the thread

Thanks for showing this. I am going to be doing something very similar in a few months with a chip separator, 2hp collector venting directly outside. The major details I have remaining to decide are: method of going through the wall, and what should it look like outside? Do you have this pointing downward on the exterior or does it blow horizontally outside?

Thanks.

Curious, why separate at all if you're venting outside, why not just put a barrel under the exhaust?

Nice job. Thanks for posting. I too would like to see a picture of how you cap the outside exhaust - up, down, weather protection, etc. Also, when running the drum sander, how much dust gets past the separator and goes outside. Thanks.

Scott - I have not had a chance to do a lot of planing or sanding yet but just basing how much it pulls it will be a huge improvement on what I was using. Mainly because there is no filter restrictions. I think you would see an improvement with the 1 1/2hp motor. Obviously the bigger motor and fan will create a huge difference.

Tony - see attached pic of the outside vent. This is only temporary until my friend makes a rain guard and it has a screen on it for birds. I will update a new pick when installed. The hole size is 5" x6". I cut it 6" x7" so the 1/2" temporary vent would get me set up for the weekend. Its a metal building so I just marked it and cut with a handheld grinder. I'll seal it all up.

Dennis - I guess you could do that but if outside it would have to be covered to the elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Cole View Post
    Nice job. Thanks for posting. I too would like to see a picture of how you cap the outside exhaust - up, down, weather protection, etc. Also, when running the drum sander, how much dust gets past the separator and goes outside. Thanks.
    I did q couple test runs on the planer and drum sander and did not visibly see any dust shooting out the exhaust. But I will say this my Delta Unisaw is about 9 years old and I have to do some rework on the pipes going to it. So my saw was filled with dust almost to the blade so we hooked it up to the cyclone and got it unclogged and pushed all the dust into the pipe and it shot a lot of dust out the exhaust. It was funny because my neighbor looked at me funny. I think it will be fine as there was so much at one time I pushed into the saw exhaust.

Hope you will continue to report on how this system works out. Having a cyclone should get most of the dust, and keep you out of trouble with your neighbors.

Quote Originally Posted by William A Johnston View Post
    Dennis - I guess you could do that but if outside it would have to be covered to the elements.
    Yeah, I was just thinking about this myself, they do add a lot of resistance, these separators. I'm going to need one because I don't have a material handling impeller, but if I did, I might skip the whole separation business.

It looks like a good setup for a small shop. I am curious as to how the outside area looks after venting outside for a while. Keep us posted. A good cyclone should remove over 99% of the dust. Planers and jointers produce mostly chips that are easy to separate. Sanding is all dust and is harder to separate all of it.

It also looks like you are ready to put up walls around the stand. A few removable panels would cut the noise considerably. I wonder if you can keep the drum exposed and still get good noise isolation.

Steve

I'm also curious to how well this set up works. I can tell you this it does have more suction than it did before. I credit that to having no filter restriction. My biggest concern is the outside noise. I think I'm going to have to make some kind of a baffle or muffler to quit the outside noise down. Its not to bad inside the shop but you are right I should build some type of wall around the upper unit to keep the noise down in the shop. I think most of the noise is coming from the motor inside the shop and the noise outside the shop is coming from the exhaust, its a hard noise to explain but it kind of is a roar whistle sound.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to make a muffler for this? If you look at the picture below from inside the shop at the exhaust there is a temporary box. I was thinking of leaving this and cutting a bunch of 3/4" holes all around the box then wrapping this with some type of sound deadening material then building another box around it> Thoughts would be greatly appreciated even if I have to start another thread.

Please see attached Pic and PDF for my initial idea - don't bar no punches if you think I'm on the wrong path.;

Bill
    Attached Files Attached Files

Just a quick update on the performance of the cyclone. I planed about 60 BF of Mahogany, Walnut and Maple this weekend on my Dewalt DW735 planer. While my friends were planning I stood out side to see if I could see anything coming out of the exhaust vent outside my shop and there was none to be seen. The suction of the system is way way better than the single stage collector by itself. I attribute this to not having restriction from a filter. I am very pleased so far with my modifications and I am pleased with the cyclone separator. It really is a good value if you are venting outside and have an existing single stage unit that you can pull the motor and fan off of and re-use. I am still working on a muffler for the unit and a viewing window the dust bin.

Hope this helps anybody out that is on a tight budget like myself. I would not be afraid to order again.

Bill