Thread: Stanley Tool Box

Stanley Tool Box

This is a later Stanley tool chest, possibly even after the Handyman series. I poked around some and was not able to find information anywhere. If you have links to details on it I would appreciate it if you shared them. The back is loose, I am thinking of screwing it on with slotted holes. Some of the tools came with it but not all of them.

Stanley Tool Box Back.jpgStanley Tool Box Open.jpgStanley Tool Box Tag.jpgStanley Tool Box Price Tag.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

My best guess is a Stanley 861. In an OldTools Archive thread from 2008 someone asked about a similar box and one of the replies was:

Based on Walters, it looks to be a Stanley 861, which was made between 1926 and 1942. The length is correct and it is definitely of oak. It says there were 32 tools provided and lists (as of 1996) a value of $50-$150 sans tools. It has one tool holder on the left; two on the right. It does state the dimensions and contents changed over time and that it was originally a Four Square item.
    Not sure if google books links work properly but here's an advertisement from 1940 Popular Mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrae Covington View Post
    My best guess is a Stanley 861. In an OldTools Archive thread from 2008 someone asked about a similar box and one of the replies was:

Not sure if google books links work properly but here's an advertisement from 1940 Popular Mechanics.
    Thank you, that is very helpful.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Blog Entries
    Looked it up in John Walter's book. He mentions the size and contents changed over time.

A tool box (#901) in the 1953 Stanley catalog looks like the number may have also changed over time:

100_6494.jpg

Looks like the image of the 861 to which Andrae posted a link.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)