Thread: Can't Keep Robust Clean 6 pics,

Can't Keep Robust Clean 6 pics,

When I ordered my Robust I had about 8 large blanks of cherry and ash in plastic bags on my picnic table in the back yard. This was a cherry blank about 20 x 22". It was 10 to 12" thick. I used a Maketa electric chainsaw to trim it round. The pith on the 12" end was a couple inches from the surface so after getting it round I used the lance on the large set of McNaughton coring set to part off a 2" slab which made two 9" quarter sawn blanks. I cored the bowl blank into 4 bowls. They seem nicely center on the grain. I am learning the limits of this lathe and overall am pleased with it.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    Member Illiana Woodturners

It's clearly defective. I think you should return it. Or give it to me. Maybe I can fix it and get some use out of it or learn to live with the pile of shavings.

I've never used my McNaughton parting tool like that. I guess that's what it's for. Duh.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Herzberg View Post
    It's clearly defective. I think you should return it. Or give it to me. Maybe I can fix it and get some use out of it or learn to live with the pile of shavings.

I've never used my McNaughton parting tool like that. I guess that's what it's for. Duh.
    Sure beats trying to saw it off. It works well as long as it is at center line. Nice of you to offer to fix it. I do have three big bags of cherry shavings you could have?

Sorry you're having such a hard time with your lathe. One suggestion: cherry shavings + whole pork roast + smoker. Makes for a happy end go a good day in the shop.

time for a bigger shovel I think......enjoy

Happiness is a pile of shavings....and your going to need a bigger shop vac!
    "A mess in a shop is a working shop" and it has to be a real pleasure working on such a nice machine!
    [SIGPIC]http://www.sawmillcreek.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=136853&dateline=14260 43453[/SIGPIC]
    They say "Riding a bike is good excercise", so I bought two of them, Harley Davidson Ultra Classic LTD, Big Dog K-9 Chopper

Quote Originally Posted by charlie knighton View Post
    time for a bigger shovel I think......enjoy

I gave up up on the dust pan years ago. I do use a nice light and "large plastic snow shovel. I clip a 40 gal garbage bag to a the reversed tool rest and shovel in the chips.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Huffman View Post
    Happiness is a pile of shavings....and your going to need a bigger shop vac!
    "A mess in a shop is a working shop" and it has to be a real pleasure working on such a nice machine!
    Steve, I am as envious of that machine you have on the bottom of your post..riding in Colorado with all that beautiful scenery and curvey roads has to be the best. Beautiful bike!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bergstrom View Post
    Sure beats trying to saw it off. It works well as long as it is at center line. Nice of you to offer to fix it. I do have three big bags of cherry shavings you could have?
    Bob,

I picked this idea of using the straight McNaughton knife for deeper piece parting off from another thread. Tried it out on a couple test pieces and it worked okay but I was just taking off a small thickness off the end of a piece, not several inches of wood like you show. Couple questions:

1.) Did you leave a small nub and then saw the piece off or cut all the way through?

2.) You said it cuts good at center line. I usually core a little above center, maybe 1/16". You suggest dropping it down to dead nuts center?

Quote Originally Posted by David Delo View Post
    Bob,

I picked this idea of using the straight McNaughton knife for deeper piece parting off from another thread. Tried it out on a couple test pieces and it worked okay but I was just taking off a small thickness off the end of a piece, not several inches of wood like you show. Couple questions:

1.) Did you leave a small nub and then saw the piece off or cut all the way through?

2.) You said it cuts good at center line. I usually core a little above center, maybe 1/16". You suggest dropping it down to dead nuts center?

Dave I used a hand saw to cut the last nub, but I did get tired of pushing the saw so I turned the lathe down to 50 rpm and pushed the saw against the rotation.

As as for center line I pull the gate back an push the blade as far as I can into the gate, then center that to the center point on the face of the blank. It could be a little low or high. If it quites cutting I'll adjust it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bergstrom View Post
    Dave I used a hand saw to cut the last nub, but I did get tired of pushing the saw so I turned the lathe down to 50 rpm and pushed the saw against the rotation.

As as for center line I pull the gate back an push the blade as far as I can into the gate, then center that to the center point on the face of the blank. It could be a little low or high. If it quites cutting I'll adjust it.
    Thanks Bob,

That's what I suspected, just wanted to confirm. I have some larger than normal maple pieces coming my way soon and I think I might run into a situation that's like what you have pictured. Congrats on your new machine. Looks good and certainly looks like your having fun with it.