Thread: Spalted Hackberry with Branch Inclusion

Spalted Hackberry with Branch Inclusion

Just finished this up over the weekend. I used spray on lacquer as my finish. I had hoped it would not yellow the wood, but it did some. It would have been so much cooler if I could have held on to the rim of the bowl above the branch inclusion, but it went flying off towards the end of the project. Oh well.

This one had some worm holes in it as well. After turning it I was cleaning out some of the dust that got compacted in the holes. When I started poking at one of the holes, a nearby hole started moving. There was still a worm inside that had survived the turning experience. Tough trooper.

C&C Welcome.

FullSizeRender 7.jpgFullSizeRender 2.jpgFullSizeRender 13.jpgFullSizeRender 11.jpgFullSizeRender 12.jpgFullSizeRender 16.jpg

Very cool bowl, thanks for posting.

Great grain movement!
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Good save of what must have looked like a bad chunk of wood. Quite a story there.

nice piece

nice bowl Brad. Love the spalted Wood. Nothing beats nature. Have you had a Wood blank age and mold some to get the spalted look, or you just turn a bit rotten Wood and see what comes out?

Thanks Nelson. I had nothing to do with the spalting process. The tree was alive, and apparently healthy, until it came down in a storm. I turned some of it almost immediately, and it had very similar spalting to this bowl which was turned about a year after the tree came down. The wood doesn't appear rotten from the outside. I imagine that if it was that "spalted" it wouldn't be very good for turning.