Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sawdust

Sawdust

I'm a one-man wood shop and usually end up filling a 55-gal drum every week, sometimes more. What do ya'll do with your dust? I've got a friend who uses some occasionally for dog bedding, but other than that I've been burning it. Probably the biggest annoyance is when it needs dumped it needs dumped and I don't feel like storing it until it convenient for someone to come pick it up. I'm hoping to set up a dust trailer at my new shop and vent outside which will hopefully make it a little less often, but I still got to get rid of it eventually.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

I like my burn barrel gets used often.

in my locale they have a recycle container for yard waste - sawdust and metal free solid wood scraps go in there to be turned into compost

My bother uses the sawdust for end-of-the-world/zombie stuff. I guess multiple uses for the survivalist.

My local yard waste recycler accepts it so I put it into the containers.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Hi, my in laws use it for bedding for their chickens..............Regards, Rod.

I don't have a burn barrel but do plan to get one.....not a problem in my area.....I'm in the country. Maybe a stupid question but I always thought that if I got a small fire going in the barrel and then dumped 35 gallons of sawdust (varying sizes) on top of the fire, I would smother it and then have a pain in the rear to get re-started. Am I a fool for thinking this? Would love to be able to simple light, dump, and burn.

I am thinking throwing sawdust in burning barrel probably not the best method. Can be hair removing moment.

All my saw dust is piled up around all my plants as mulch... but I have a really large yard.

Burn barrel? I have a burn pile!

I make my own MDF.

(just kidding.)

I fill a 200 liter bag and put it next to the trash the day before trash pickup. I had looked att all kinds of tips for what I could do with it but it's not worth the effort.

The last bag of "clean" sawdust went to the stable owners where the LOML keeps her horse. They have a rather large manure pile that they added it to for composting. This probably won't be a regular thing but it does take care of a bag here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Brandstetter View Post
    I don't have a burn barrel but do plan to get one.....not a problem in my area.....I'm in the country. Maybe a stupid question but I always thought that if I got a small fire going in the barrel and then dumped 35 gallons of sawdust (varying sizes) on top of the fire, I would smother it and then have a pain in the rear to get re-started. Am I a fool for thinking this? Would love to be able to simple light, dump, and burn.
    When I burn my sawdust it does smolder a bit but it generally all burns up.

mine goes to a horse boarding farm too

Quote Originally Posted by eugene thomas View Post
    I am thinking throwing sawdust in burning barrel probably not the best method. Can be hair removing moment.
    Yeah especially when it fine sanding dust....