Thread: knockdown guitar stand in cherry - (video)

knockdown guitar stand in cherry - (video)

Hi Everyone,

My son is learning to play the bass guitar. For his birthday, I promised to make him a guitar stand. We wanted something nice, so that the guitar could be out on display in his room, instead of hidden away in the guitar case.

After looking around online I came across takeastandinc.com. They sell a very interesting guitar stand, with lovely flowing lines. Even more importantly, their stand comes apart. I was very interested in making a knock-down stand, so that it would be easier for him to move or transport.

My design is based on one of their designs. It is not a direct copy -- for one thing I have no idea what the dimensions are of their product. But it is heavily influenced by them.

Last edited by Lee Schierer; 06-08-2015 at 7:18 PM. Reason: video link violates TOS
    "It's Not About You."

That looks great Art! Only thing I'd do is get rid of the felt and replace it with something that looks a nice as the rest of it does. Maybe some leather?
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    That looks great Art! Only thing I'd do is get rid of the felt and replace it with something that looks a nice as the rest of it does. Maybe some leather?
    What felt?

The head/neck support is wrapped in black cowhide, left over from upholstering my love seat 10 years ago.
    Where did you get the idea that it was felt?
    "It's Not About You."

My mistake Art! In the photo of the area that holds the neck, it looked like black felt to me. Once you said it was cowhide, I took a closer look and I see it's not felt! My mistake, carry on, nothing to see here.... Good job
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    My mistake Art! In the photo of the area that holds the neck, it looked like black felt to me. Once you said it was cowhide, I took a closer look and I see it's not felt! My mistake, carry on, nothing to see here.... Good job
    Scott, I thought is was felt also at first glance. Art, nice looking piece!

Thank-you, gentlemen!

(I was really confused by the felt question... )
    "It's Not About You."

I really like that, Art. Very nice design and end result!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nice stand!! And I really like this felt parts on stand .
    Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by Eduard Nemirovsky View Post
    Nice stand!! And I really like this felt parts on stand .
    Ed.
    thanks guys, ha ha, Eduard.
    "It's Not About You."

Hi Ed, really nice work. Enjoyed the video. Would you mind posting the basic dimensions...I'd like to build one, will probably need to modify some, but your dimensions would be helpful as a starting point. Thanks!

Phil, dimension of what? and what video you are talking about? If you are talking about bench I posted in another thread - I choose to use 4 by 8 3/4" MDF and play from there. I bought magazine from Germany with Guido's Super-MFT worktable but modify it a lot to suit mine needs.
    If you need more pictures - let me know.
    Ed.

Sorry Ed, confused you with the OP of this thread...my bad.
    Art, this was meant for you.

I like the design and execution. I too thought felt, but a trick of the camera... A potential alternative would be wound cord, e.g., danish cord or a satin cord.

Nicely done!

C
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Hi Ed, really nice work. Enjoyed the video. Would you mind posting the basic dimensions...I'd like to build one, will probably need to modify some, but your dimensions would be helpful as a starting point. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Sorry Ed, confused you with the OP of this thread...my bad.
    Art, this was meant for you.
    My apologies, Phil, I missed this post when you submitted it... Given that I based this on a commercial product, I am reluctant to post any sort of a plan.
    I will tell you that it is about 43" tall. The base is 16" wide. The notch for the base is about 4" up from the bottom, and the notch at the top is about 41" above the floor. A lot will depend on your particular guitar. There are a lot more photos and details on my website. If you click on my name you will see a link to my website.

Quote Originally Posted by Eduard Nemirovsky View Post
    Phil, dimension of what? and what video you are talking about? If you are talking about bench I posted in another thread - I choose to use 4 by 8 3/4" MDF and play from there. I bought magazine from Germany with Guido's Super-MFT worktable but modify it a lot to suit mine needs.
    If you need more pictures - let me know.
    Ed.
    Eduard, I produced a youtube video of this project build, but the video link was removed by the mods. Again, if you visit my website you will be able to find the link to the video and my other youtube videos.
    "It's Not About You."