Thread: Free woodworking classes?

Free woodworking classes?

Has anyone signed for Woodcraft's "free online woodworking classes" being offered recently?

I notice Andy Rae has one now on setting up and using your bandsaw.

Whenever someone offers me something for "free", I look for the catch.....
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I haven't seen those particular ones, but I have seen others. Usually, they are a way to draw you into the site, and hi-lite some particular tool or jig. This does not negate their usefulness, just be aware that they are possibly slanting the presentation toward their own product.

Heck, I do something similar at Farmers Markets. I have a small mobile workbench that I take with me, and give demonstrations/lessons on such things as hand cut dovetails, sharpening chisels/planes, etcetera, as well as anything else that people may ask about. Although I do it (mostly) because I love the craft, and enjoy sharing my joy in it, it's also a good way to draw people into my stall - they often leave after having made a purchase, just as a momento.
    Last edited by Roy Harding; 05-27-2015 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Edited for typo
    I love mankind. It's people I can't stand.

I looked at that I think the first one is free then you have to sign up for the classes ,if my memory serves me correctly
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

The bandsaw one is free. The others are $30 or so. Partnered with Craftsy.

I've attended a few paid classes. Nice thing is, in both cases, not a word about buying whatever it is they are using...I suppose it goes without saying that it is available for sale, but appreciated not being "encouraged"

I took a free bandsaw class at woodcraft once. It went over the features of the Rikon 18" at the time - it was NOT a woodcraft person "teaching". I walked out of there wanting one. I think come people actually bought one right then. The class went over the features of a lot of bandsaws and how to somewhat tune them up. All the cool Rikon's features were covered very well.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

u tube is your friend, there are so many sites with information such as the American wood shop, NYW, Ana-White.com etc that have a lot of tutorials that unless I'm learning something from a actual pro such. Peter Sefton or Paul Sellers that I wouldn't bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Has anyone signed for Woodcraft's "free online woodworking classes" being offered recently?

I notice Andy Rae has one now on setting up and using your bandsaw.

Whenever someone offers me something for "free", I look for the catch.....
    I know this is an old thread but I am just now watching Andy Rae's free bandsaw videos on Craftsy. I think it's excellent. There were several other free videos available when I signed up for Craftsy. I went ahead and also paid $19.95 for a mult episode series on dovetails which I thought was worth the money. If you look at the woodworking offerings on Craftsy there are at least twenty short courses. Kevin Rodel has a couple I noted. There is another on Greene and Greene furniture techniques. Thought I would mention this as many of you might not be aware of Craftsy (I know, the name 'Craftsy' is not the most compelling!).