Thread: Anniversary Ash Vase

Anniversary Ash Vase

Since there's no Official Gift Designation for a 32nd wedding anniversary like pearls, diamonds, ruby's or other too expensive gifts, I get off easy this year (tomorrow) and decided to make it the ash vase anniversary. 13" high x 12" deep x 5" diameter at the top. Started out with the idea that it wouldn't have a foot on it but liked what I saw once I started cutting, so it ended up being a footed piece. Last couple of pieces of cherry burl I had for the flowers with red & white painted oak plugs. Usually I like the dowel rod stems to be green but the brown color looked better. Turned a tapered walnut disk to hold the flowers in place. Might change out the walnut disk to a matching ash disk that's left over from the original piece but kind of like the contrast for now. 4 coats of walnut oil finish for the time being. Will buff it next week.

32-1.jpg

32-2.jpg

32-3.jpg

32-4.jpg

32-5.jpg

Very nice and clever. My wife would enjoy that.

Red
    RED

We hit 32 this year, too. Congratulations. I don't remember getting her anything, so your wife is much more lucky than mine.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Very nice indeed.
    Congrats on your upcoming anniversary!!

I too will be married 32 years this October and I have never gotten her anything (nor she to me). If I did she would say "OK, who is she"!!

Red
    RED

Popular weekend for weddings! We camped with some friends over the weekend to celebrate our mutual lucky 13th - same date and time, but different cities. Congrats on 32 and wish you the best for the next 32!

Thanks for all the well wishes and kind comments.

Very nice. I need to make some inserts similar for a couple of vases that do not stand up flowers and other decorative items.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    Very nice. I need to make some inserts similar for a couple of vases that do not stand up flowers and other decorative items.

I have been using small aquarium pebbles to hold up flowers, floral fillers and other little nik-naks in vases this size. I like how stuff gets held in place but they tend to get a little heavier than I'd like. Normally the pebbles get covered up and nobody sees them but this piece is just the 2 flowers and didn't want the pebbles exposed or detracting from the theme of it's just you and me now babe.........we're about to be empty nester's soon.

She'll love those David. Good choice on the stems too, as the green might over power things a bit. Nice work!
    [SIGPIC]http://www.sawmillcreek.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=136853&dateline=14260 43453[/SIGPIC]
    They say "Riding a bike is good excercise", so I bought two of them, Harley Davidson Ultra Classic LTD, Big Dog K-9 Chopper

Is the flower base actually a lid for a box? If not it would be a good hiding spot if you could make that happen. Personally I like the 'dirt' color and would think of roughing it up rather than using matching Ash..
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Red Bemont View Post
    I too will be married 32 years this October and I have never gotten her anything (nor she to me). If I did she would say "OK, who is she"!!

Red
    My wife and I just made 37 years married, 40 years together! As far as gifts go, in the words of my awesome late father-in-law " Hey, I married ya, I gotta buy gifts too?"

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    Is the flower base actually a lid for a box? If not it would be a good hiding spot if you could make that happen. Personally I like the 'dirt' color and would think of roughing it up rather than using matching Ash..
    Thom,

Took me awhile to remember exactly where the walnut piece came from in the first place. It began as a experimental base for a bunch of crosses I made for table decorations for our fellowship hall at church. Decided on a different design so I had this piece in almost ready to use mode. Took off about 1" from diameter and matched the taper pretty well. Disk is only about 3/8" thick so it's a pretty good snug fit. Hiding spot is a great idea!!!! Thanks.