Thread: Did You Know

Blog Entries

Did You Know

Target stores has what may be one of the better crime investigation laboratories in the nation?

They also use their abilities to track customers:

Target tracks everything customers do and records these activities into a database — so, if you're a Target customer, chances are you have a Target Guest ID number in their computer systems. Andrew Pole, a statistician for the company, explained the expansiveness of the program to the New York Times: "If you use a credit card or a coupon, or fill out a survey, or mail in a refund, or call the customer help line, or open an e-mail we've sent you or visit our Web site, we'll record it and link it to your Guest ID. We want to know everything we can." They use that data, in part, to customize coupons which are mailed out to would-be shoppers. But sometimes that backfires. As Forbes noted, the company's algorithm once determined that a high schooler was a mother-to-be, and, dutifully, sent her a coupons for baby clothes — which her father opened. A few days after receiving an irate phone call from the young woman's father, a customer service representative called back to apologize again, but the father ended up the one saying sorry: it turns out the algorithm was right. His daughter was pregnant but had not yet told him.
    http://nowiknow.com/targeting-crime/

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Orwell knew a thing or two.............
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    What wasn't included in the quote is their camera surveillance system links images of people to their guest ID.

Pick something up in the store and look at it, put it back on the shelf and in the next few days you may get a coupon for the item to entice you back to spend more money.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    What wasn't included in the quote is their camera surveillance system links images of people to their guest ID.

Pick something up in the store and look at it, put it back on the shelf and in the next few days you may get a coupon for the item to entice you back to spend more money.

jtk
    Many retailers are already doing this, or are setting it up. They want to know everything about you, so are tracking everything you touch or stop to look at. Reminds me and more of Minority Report and 1984. Big Brother is watching, but half the time Big Brother isn't the government, but your local store. It would be 'fun' to set up a large group that on the same day, all went to their local Target / Walmart / HD and all spent five minutes looking at the exact same item. Some really innocuous thing like a broom or bottle of soap, etc. With a large enough crowd, you could skew the Big Data enough to make things interesting.

they might think it was a movement
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

Yes Judson it is a "Movement."

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    The NSA has him on staff.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    The NSA has him on staff.
    Backwards, Julie, my dear - -

He has the NSA on staff.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.