Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News on the G0766!

News on the G0766!

Okay........straight from the Missouri distribution center.........5/27 12:20 pm............

the G0766 lathes are currently in Kansas City, with the trucking company. They expect them into the distribution center in Springfield within a couple of days, and they will streamline the inspection process and get them out ASAP!
    If they get there tomorrow, then some shipping will take place likely on Friday, but it could be on Monday 6/1...it just depends on how quickly the trucks get into the distribution center.

The gentleman said that nothing frustrates Grizzly more than to have shipping dates and such frustrated by events and even more they really are concerned that customers have been frustrated as well, but they are working on this to get them out to us.

The order was tracked down today by the purchase mgr, and Office mgr for Grizzly and they called me just a bit ago............that is the latest and is good news!!!

I will be updated for further developments, and the process refined for shipping.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 05-27-2015 at 12:37 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Free beer Tomorrow.

That's great news Roger, I know you and the rest of the guys that have them on order will be glad to get them into their shops.

Well, shenanigans-- I should have placed my internet order a bit sooner! I just called them and my order is far enough back in the line (ordered April 2nd) that they think my lathe will be arriving at their Missouri warehouse on 6/22. I'm hoping they're wrong on that estimate-- but at least there should be a couple of reviews or "First Looks" popping up on the internet by then.

Starting to sound good. I'll be happy to get the "it's shipped" email. Then I'll be getting excited.

Red
    RED

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Red Bemont View Post
    Starting to sound good. I'll be happy to get the "it's shipped" email. Then I'll be getting excited.

Red
    You & me both! Since it is only about a 3 hour drive from Kansas City to Springfield, I hope those trucks get there first thing tomorrow.......it sure would be nice to see that email about it being shipped by the end of the day on Friday!

Well, it sure has been a nail biting wait for you guys and sure glad to hear that might be over soon. Looking forward to reviews and lots of pictures!!!
    Would also be fun to start a thread on who gets theirs in, when it was ordered, and post the state you live in. Roger, is there anyway to know what distribution center it came from?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Huffman View Post
    Well, it sure has been a nail biting wait for you guys and sure glad to hear that might be over soon. Looking forward to reviews and lots of pictures!!!
    Would also be fun to start a thread on who gets theirs in, when it was ordered, and post the state you live in. Roger, is there anyway to know what distribution center it came from?
    Please don't encourage another 766 thread - they should be consolidated into one as is!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    Please don't encourage another 766 thread - they should be consolidated into one as is!

Mike! You want a thread with hundreds of posts and 50 pages to read through?!

10. Quote Originally Posted by Steve Huffman View Post
    Steve.........I am really looking forward to the next phone call from the Missouri Distribution Center........that should tell me whether or not the lathes arrived there today......if they did, it is possible they could start shipping tomorrow........it could still be on Monday 6/1..........

Not sure I want to do a thread on when ordered/when arrived, but I will do another one with initial impressions and such. I am looking forward to putting it through its paces, and I especially want to see what kind of low end grunt it has with that 3 hp motor. I turned on a friends Robust American Beauty with 3 hp and could stall it with too heavy a cut, and have another friend who has a Oneway 2436 with 3 hp........he told me he stalls it with too heavy a cut, so that should tell all of us to cut within the range of reasonableness!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    .... I am looking forward to putting it through its paces, and I especially want to see what kind of low end grunt it has with that 3 hp motor. I turned on a friends Robust American Beauty with 3 hp and could stall it with too heavy a cut, and have another friend who has a Oneway 2436 with 3 hp........he told me he stalls it with too heavy a cut, so that should tell all of us to cut within the range of reasonableness!
    I've looked at the actual current draw specs for the G0766, and it's no more a "3HP" (real, continuous ) then many of Grizzly's tools that claim to develop 2HP from a 110V@15amp circuit.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Real horsepower

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Lindberg View Post
    I've looked at the actual current draw specs for the G0766, and it's no more a "3HP" (real, continuous ) then many of Grizzly's tools that claim to develop 2HP from a 110V@15amp circuit.

Ralph,

Horsepower looks suspicious however according to documentation from the manufacturer their three horsepower motor should be putting out a real two horsepower. With a full two horsepower and the inertia created getting a big piece of wood spinning I think the horsepower will be adequate.

Of course, the manufacturer builds to customer specifications so looking at the components offered does not mean that is what Grizzly eventually bought. Real horsepower and performance are unknowns, just more of the mystery surrounding the 766 at the moment. I strongly suspect they aren't the lone ranger when it comes to rating motors somewhat dubiously so I will be very surprised if the motors don't perform as well or better than those rated two horsepower.

I bought expecting about two real horsepower. On the other hand, how many bought thinking this was a 22" swing lathe. According to the manual it is a 16" swing, the swing over the banjo. The manual seems to be a hacked up cut and paste from another unit so I don't know what is accurate information or what got by the poof reader!

Hu

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Lindberg View Post
    Ralph, according to an earlier post of yours the output was 2.3 hp. 3 hp in, 2.3 out after the cycling of the inverter. Now I suspect that your statement above is also applicable to the other makes that Burt Group manufactures. The motor/inverter combination is from Delta electronics, same as PM & Jet. I suspect they all lose some due to the cycling of the inverter. I do think it will be plenty adequate, but will see when it arrives............if it does not perform, then back to Grizzly it goes!!! My G0698 2 hp performed plenty well for me, and the 2 hp G0733 has done fine for their owners.........I do not anticipate any problems!

In the manual it says it takes 4 amps to deliver the 3 hp rating, but it can draw more amps if the load is great. I think this speaks to motor efficiency. The parts list also lists the motor as a 240v motor. The manual at times does have some misprints, and I noticed that the drawing of the tailstock is that of the G0733 lathe. Sometimes they copy and paste when making up these manuals, just for illustration purposes. It is likely that many companies [true of Craftsman brands and others] give ratings that can be questioned........

This should be plenty for a lathe.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 05-28-2015 at 11:27 AM.

Hu,

It sounds to me like you "bought thinking this was a 22" swing lathe," and grew disappointed when you discovered what that actually means. All manufacturers define the "swing" dimension of the lathe as the largest diameter piece of stock that can turn on that lathe without hitting the bed. If someone didn't know what that meant, and realized that, with the tool rest in position, they can't possibly carve a piece of log that large, it's certainly no fault of Grizzly's. Similarly, someone purchasing a much more expensive lathe that advertises a 16" swing can't carve that large with the tool rest in position either.

Just got off the phone with CS to update my Visa. My pickup date at Bellingham has been changed from 6-24 to 6-17. Must be several containers back to back.

Ordered 3-12.
    If it's not fun, you'er not doing it right.