Thread: Are the Holey Galahads a good tool for a beginner?

Are the Holey Galahads a good tool for a beginner?

I was thinking about trying my hand at some chair making. I love the look of the Maloof seats, but I have never had an occasion to do any carving or other techniques that mimic seat scooping. I was thinking about buying a medium and fine Holey Galahad and practice on a couple stools for my shop. Are they a good place for a beginner to start? If not, what would be your recommendations?

Thanks a bunch,
    Chip
    Last edited by Chip Byrd; 05-27-2015 at 2:40 PM.

I've made a few maloof style carved out seats. I just used my angle grinder with a angled flap disk I bought from lowes and some heavy grit sandpaper disks on the grinder. Took some time and was dusty but it worked. I kind of liked that it took a while so I could ease into the final shape.

i wear a respirator and set up two box fans to blow all the dust out the garage door. Messy but got the job done.

WoodWhisperer is doing a Maloof rocker right now and suggests a coarse and fine Holey Galahad. The Arbortech is also a good option but more pricey.

I have a HF disk (probably a knock-off of Galahad); it works well although pretty aggressive. No reason that a beginner could not use one; just be sure to use both hands on the grinder with the wood secured. I believe this is safer than the chainsaw type cutters on a grinder.

Thanks guys. I will order the Galahads.

Don't forget the safety gear.

Run the Dust collector for an hour after you stop grinding.

Thank Jim, I definitely plan to get a full mask.