Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is it? Or, how do you make use of this (tool?)?

What is it? Or, how do you make use of this (tool?)?

Does anybody know what good the little item is in the bottom of the picture? The metal thinga-ma-jig?

It wound up in my shopping bag last weekend....on sale......$8.

DSCN0505.JPG
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Just a guess - inside angle gauge?

Blog Entries
    It is for measuring angles on machined work. They also come in sets like this MYC_186-910.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Lemme get this straight - you bought a tool with an unknown purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    The rule I was taught is: If you see it, and you don't have it, you NEED it!

Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Is this a trick question?
    It appears to be an angle-setting gauge. You can set up your tools or jigs with it. It's clever in the sense that the angles are pre-set so they're probably good for calibration tasks, yet don't take up much space. The only downside is that they are small.

Heck yes, you can buy tools just because they are cool.
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

the one who dies with the most tools... wins. were I to limit myself to only tools I know how to use I would not stand a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by mike holden View Post
    The rule I was taught is: If you see it, and you don't have it, you NEED it!

Mike
    And the best part is, after a few months when you totally forget what you've bought you open a box or a drawer, you see the tool and ask yourself: when did buy this?

David

http://www.kristeel.com/modelag.php

I would have bought it in a minute, but I knew what it was. It can be a very valuable tool.
    You did pretty darn good for a blind purchase.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 05-28-2015 at 3:00 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Yes.

HOw it happened was that I perused the Highland WW site before going down there, for sale items.

It was an angle gauge on sale for $8. I thought it was a thread pitch gauge.

When I got to HWW, Sidney-whom I have known forever, I just gave him my list to round up all the stuff I wanted. He was happy to do it. My knee was bothering me.

I didn't look it over on way to cash register cause I was on my way to the Bathurst Estate.

that;s the truth.
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

I have a whole toolbox (cabinet, middle and top) with tools I don't use........ Am I missing the initial questrion?

The worst part is when your wife see's a tool like that and asks YOU what it is for. You better have an answer, my wife already knows what a left handed blivet hook is.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

We occasionally have an event at our house-I announce "it's a first use tool day!"
    of course, a happy occasion that a tool has been in fact used (purchased months/years before) for the first time
    David

It's really bad when you forget you have it and 6 months later you buy another one because you don't remember you have one.
    Curt