Thread: Combination Project Wood/Metal Machinist Tool Box???

Combination Project Wood/Metal Machinist Tool Box???

Good morning guys,well last couple yrs I have pick up a Sears metal lathe and some cutting tools,mics,dial indicators,etc.I also pickup couple small #520 Kennedy tool boxes.
    I have been thinking about trying to make my own machinist tool boxes that fits me or to the size that I want.You know one of those Mission style old world looking boxes that you would find maybe in the Smithsonian.Which means making it out of white oak then fuming it,I am OK with that.So what I am looking for is ideals,maybe links to information,design thoughts,hardware,plans or if its a waste of time.You know,you were making one for yourself and then you ask yourself Why or maybe having second thoughts on the project.Yea,I know I can buy one cheaper but I just want to make something for myself maybe the kids will hold onto it pass it down to the grand kids-----Carroll

Gerstner still makes 'em. You could look at their offerings for ideas or inspiration: http://www.gerstnerusa.com/
    Chuck Taylor

Holy Moly, $1,495 for the small Gerstner machinist's box! I badly wanted one when I got into the trades back in 1969 but couldn't afford the $400 (IIRC) price tag. I bought a Kennedy 526 chest instead, still have it today.

If you Google "machinist's box" for images you'll get lots of ideas. It wouldn't be a bad idea to buy a set of plans and modify them to your liking.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney