Thread: Just $4?

Just $4?

Three stops on a Rust Hunt Thursday, turned down a lot. Expensive draw knives that were almost worm out? Nah. 10 hammers of every sort @ $5 each..nope. Craftsman Beltsander for $8....already have one, sorry.

So, what did four bucks buy today? Well this all came from one stop
    IMAG0111.jpg
    Well, that flush cut pull saw is worth a dollar, maybe. The Coping/fret saw is a Millers Falls No. 2. The Square is a 8" Stanley all metal square. Not a Try square, either. Numbers on it are worn almost completely away.

The M-F No.2 is a 12" deep saw. Blade has seen better days, too. Will replace with a new one, as soon as I find out what kind to get. Thumbscrews are long gone, but I think I can find others to fit the bill...

Not too bad a morning?

Now that's a nice way to start theday! Nice catch!

Went out to Lowes tonight. Picked up a pair of thumbscrews for 68 cents. Picked up some pin-less saw blades for it as well. OEM blade was bent in about five directions at once. Will try the new ones tomorrow.

Cleaned the Stanley Square up. There is numbers on the arm. This is an 8" long square. Not sure when it was made, or even what model number. Did check it for square, though.....pretty darn close.

That flush cut saw is basically junk. Way too flimsy for me. It will cut, just bends a lot doing it. Might keep it around for plug trimming...

Two out of thre items were worth the trip, at least. Where else can you find a good fret style saw for a buck or two?

Hey steven, how do you tension the blade on your new saw?

Been tightening down one end. Then push the arms together enough that I can install the other end and tighten it down. Arms on the saw spring back to tension the blade. So far, so good on a $2 saw. The other two items were a $1 a piece.

Blog Entries
    That flush cut saw is basically junk. Way too flimsy for me. It will cut, just bends a lot doing it. Might keep it around for plug trimming...
    A tip for the flush cut saw, punch a hole in an index card then put it over the plug you are cutting. Helps to prevent any scratches and then the final trim on the plug or dowel can be a paring cut with a sharp chisel.

Sometimes the flexibility is useful, other times it is just a pain in the posterior.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

been out researching info on the Millers Falls No.2 saw...Other than feebay listings...not a whole lot out there.

Same with the Stanley 8" all metal square. A few pictures, not much info.

Did find out they want quite a lot for these two items, for some reason.

I did turn down a 6" long dovetail/gents saw for $8 at the same place these came from. Fellow had a couple tables full of things rusty.....LOT of will power being used that morning.....

Very good morning Steven. I had a rust run the other afternoon. Picked up an 8" Stanley square with Rosewood handle...the blade probably about the same condition as yours and pretty darn square as well. Also grabbed a post 1955 Disston keyhole saw, a Warrented Superior panel saw (both have seen better days, but consider them teeth sharpening practice) and a couple of Williams C clamps...all together $25. You have better will power than I.

Well, will power was worn down a bit this morning. Went out and got that dovetail saw after all, but at about half of what they wanted yesterday.
    IMAG0115.jpg
    Not quite 7" of plate there, just under 2" under the spine.
    Then there was another place or two to check out...and spent $3 on one item
    IMAG0116.jpg
    Type 6 Stanely #5 Jack plane. Someone had drilled two holes to mount a fence to it...no real big deal.

While cleaning the jack plane up, found a folded piece of paper under the rear handle. Turned out to be a reciept of some sort.

"HW Eaton"
    Miamisburg, OH
    March 18, 1899

Trying to decide where to stash that paper for now.

Not too bad a day...

Blog Entries
    Trying to decide where to stash that paper for now.
    Frame it with a picture of the plane?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Maybe a B&W photo? Since my printer only has black ink in it right now. Colour ink is a bit too much $$ on the budget.

With the other jacks in the stable, M-F No.14, and a Sargent #414, plus a dedicated scrub jack.....the new guy can just kick back for a while. I have it cleaned up and ready, just others will go to bat first. Not a "shelf-sitter", but not the first in guy, either.

As for the short Dovetail saw....already have two gents saws, and a Disston No.7. Might take the shorty along next month and do a bit of trading.

The coping saw/fret saw? May keep it around. Will need to make a cutting board for it. 12" depth of cut, for a coping saw?

The Stanley 8" square has already seen some use. Cutting 4x4 timbers, I needed to mark the cut lines..all the way around.

Four items via yard sales, about $12 total spent. Lots of fun, though.

From FeeBay at the same time frame: a Millers Falls No.56B Low angle block plane. a AC Batchelder double ironed spokeshave. a cap iron with all it's parts for a 220 block plane. Spent a LOT more cash, lot more time waiting around on the mail carrier...not as much fun.

Kind of easy to choose which to shop with. Unless I go out and do some more trading....