Thread: crescent 8" jointer

crescent 8" jointer

I had a guy offer this to me free of charge today. I don't want to turn it down but really don't have the room to do the tear down. It has no blades. Are they still available. It is quite rusty but am sure it could be cleaned up. The motor has been replaced. when I first saw the 12" bed I was going to give the guy my eye teeth but they are already gone but then saw the 8" head and my heart fell as I just bought a new 8" jointer
    it has 4 blades and all the bolts that hold the blades are also missing. I could only find one number on it 14048. Does this number mean anything to anyone. I have never done a tear down before. Does anyone have a manual or a link for one
    thanks
    Al
    jointer 2.JPGjointer 1.JPGjointer 3.JPGjointer4.JPG

One of the best place to get started is OWWM! Here's a link just getting started referring to crescent 8" jointer: http://vintagemachinery.org/photoind....aspx?id=13620

Lucky guy!

If love to do a restoration on a project like that! I would think that you can find the parts you need relatively easily for the cutterhead, as I don't think there's anything all that special about them.

OWWM is for sure the place to start though. A restoration on something like that will for sure take up a fair amount of shop space. Don't let it go to the scrap yard whatever you do!

Nice score! Fix it up and sell your "new" jointer..... Also as was stated lots of good info over on OWWM
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Allan

I can tell you that you definitely can't lose on the deal.You could sell it in a skinny minute.
    The blades and bolts are easy to get. Blades are HSS steel and the bolts are high yield grade bolts. Have have them made if you can't find replacements
    , or replace the cutter head with a Byrd. That machine looks in pretty good shape actually, and it appears that most, or all, of the original accessory hardware is there. That is a big obstacle to overcome, finding the original fences, knobs, and such

Does the guy have a 16" cutter head? I need one for a rebuild I'm doing.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 05-29-2015 at 5:33 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)