Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pattern Maker's Vise from Highland Woodworking- anyone try it?

I recently purchased the HWW version you are considering. I was very happy and impressed with the fit and finish. I highly recommend it. The price with shipping was very reasonable for what you are getting.

There are a number of folks who mortise the fixed jaw flush with the bench front. I didn't bother doing tgat. I figured that for the few times I need to clamp something along the front skirt, it would be easier to make a jig that would hang off the front dog holes. I did have to remove the top drawer under the bench to allow for the scew/ beam to pivot downward when pivoting the vise upward. Was well worth losing a drawer that was difficult to access under the front vise to begin with.
    No, the sky is not falling - just chunks of it are.

Blog Entries
    Excellent feedback, thanks. thanks Bob for the links. I love the ability to clamp tapered objects. I never seem to build anything simple these days.

I would have no hesitation paying that price.

Blog Entries
    Well my wife got confused and thought THIS Sunday was fathers' day, so I got my $100 HWW GC early. Vise ordered.

Blog Entries
    By the way, I think this vise would be perfect for an offshore cruising boat. It seems suitable for holding a variety of things, and when offshore you just never know what you're going to need to fix or fabricate. Mount it on the edge of the pilot berth, which usually becomes a makeshift workbench.

Blog Entries
    Update: turns out shipping is $100 to me, so I kind of had to give it some thought. I pulled the trigger anyway. Still cheaper than buying an original and paying that or more in shipping. I really prefer it not be an original so I don't feel like I am destroying a piece of history every time I use it.

Blog Entries
    image.jpgimage.jpgWell due to my travels, I only just got to lay eyes on the vise, although it arrived some two weeks ago. I am absolutely blown away at the size of this thing. It's HUGE!!! I am not kidding when I say now my worry is that it's going to tip over my little bench when fully extended. I certainly may have to build a bench now, which is really what I was trying to avoid with this purchase. My goal was just to improve my existing bench until further down the road when I have more time, money, and room for a Roubo.

When they told me the shipping weight was 65 pounds, I thought, "hmmm- okay, that's big, but not huge." I appear to have a problem with envisioning things. Think of this: A 50-pound bag of dogfood with another 15-pound bag of cat food would equal this in weight. As for size, the thing is near two feet long from handle to other end (length, not width.) My only concern at this point is that the handle has a knot in it, and that kind of bugs me. I would have culled that if I were a quality control guy, but it's a small, tight knot, and I may make my own handle anyway- maybe laminate some mahogany and flamed maple and turn a handle.

Anyway, due to the immense size of this thing, I will have to play with it and see if it will even fit my bench. I may just take the top off my bench and make a heftier one. I'm on the computer. Let me reply to this from the iPhone with an image. If you don't see a reply with image, then it means the image was too big to post and I'm not dealing with resizing it.
    edit: added pic of vise sitting on a 2'xroughly 4' table. Also closeup of the handle with knot.
    Last edited by Malcolm Schweizer; 07-16-2015 at 1:01 PM.

Blog Entries
    Do I want one? YES!

Do I need one? Let's just hope SWMBO never asks.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Give it some class with one of these: https://www.lie-nielsen.com/product/...les-?node=4068
    I have one on my Jorgensen.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Wow, thanks Bruce. I never knew that existed, and I happen to have a LN $50 gift certificate to spend.

I would not make one from flamed maple. It is not nearly as strong as straight grained. Ever turn a long piece of curly maple in a lathe? It jumps around like it has a coil spring in it.

Malcolm, I'd contact HWW. Let them know about the handle. I'm sure they will take care of it.
    Maurice

Blog Entries
    I got the Lie-Nielsen vise handle in the mail today and it is just slightly too big in diameter to fit. I may actually ream the hole because I like this LN handle so much, but I can always get a smaller dowel and still use the handle ends. I'm going to say it is about 1/16" too fat.

It is a nice vise handle. Mine's exactly 1" dia. and fits into my Jorgensen with about 1/32 clearance.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney