Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why ?

Why ?

While in an introspective mood last nite, I was stopped in the middle of solving world problems by the seemingly simple question..........Why is it always my LEFT shoelace that comes untied?

World peace? No problem.
    Chocolate or Vanilla? Easy.
    Glass half full or half empty? Simple logic.

Shoelaces? Sleepless night.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 05-29-2015 at 2:58 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I'd take it one step further. Who's the idiot that thought round shoelaces would be a good idea?
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Blog Entries
    What has always bugged me is after tightening a shoelace the other one all of a sudden also decides to be loose.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Why?

Why knot?
    "Don't worry. They couldn't possibly hit us from that dist...."

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    While in an introspective move last nite, I was stopped in the middle of solving world problems by the seemingly simple question..........Why is it always my LEFT shoelace that comes untied?
    Thank you so very much for posting this!!!
    I bought new shoes last year and take my dog for a daily 2 mile walk. The right lace never comes loose, but the left does about 75% of the time. I tried getting it really tight, but that cut it to maybe 50%.
    I then tried tying the left the opposite of what feels natural, and that works. It stays tied that way.
    Only problem is that I am now not feeling which is natural.

I thought I was going crazy! It was never a problem before, and why on earth should it be now. But you have the same problem! Bless you.
    Global warming? It is responsible for everything else. If it is the cause of our last two winters being the worst on record, then why not left shoelaces coming untied.

If you were in the earth's southern hemisphere, it would be the right shoe lace that comes undone. It's the same reason the sinks drain with the opposite rotation there.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Are you left or right-handed?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Use Velcro. Problem solved. No more sleepless nights.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stutz
    Use Velcro. Problem solved. No more sleepless nights.
    +44 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 05-29-2015 at 4:37 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    The night before last I had a series of dreams about the word "atavistic". Not one dream but many. Why is that? Who dreams about a word?
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I'm left handed and believe it or not it is my right shoelace that comes loose. anything strange that happens to my right I always associate it with me being a lefty , makes me sleep well at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    If you were in the earth's southern hemisphere, it would be the right shoe lace that comes undone. It's the same reason the sinks drain with the opposite rotation there.
    Not true Grasshopper.

I have the same issue, with my right shoe. It comes untied at least once a day, while the left one never does. I live about 500 miles south of you Ken so am clearly in the northern hemisphere....I think.

Could this be an issue of humidity, such as expansion and contraction with wood?

Let's narrow this down.

Are we talking about round laces or flat laces that are coming untied so frequently?

I bet the numbers are 80% round, which is why I'd like to met the person that thought round laces were a good idea.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Hey, can any of our Aussie buddies confirm that your RIGHT shoe always comes untied? If so, I'm nominating Fitzgerald for a physics prize. Genius Ken! Sheer Genius!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    The night before last I had a series of dreams about the word "atavistic". Not one dream but many. Why is that? Who dreams about a word?
    Architects?
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 05-29-2015 at 8:16 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”