Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jig Saw

Jig Saw

I know that the Bosch Jig Saw is the preferred option. I seldom use a jig saw but need to cut several patterns from plywood and would like recommendations for and alternative brand saw. I have a band saw but I have tried this several times before and I will not go there again.

By saying "alternative" I "assume" you mean cheaper than the Bosch.

The Makita is a good jig saw at just over $100.
    The Skill or Ryobi are about the same with the edge going to the Royobi at half the price of the Bosch.

The opinions expressed are free and priced right !!! Hoot!

Promise you won't laugh...

Look at the Ridgid Fuego compact jig saw, Model 31011. $79.00

I build a lot of specialty technical furniture for broadcast studios. During installation, I often have to do a lot of cutting for cabling and electrical. I have had one of these for a while and am happy with it. Compact, handles well, plenty of power, fits in the really tight spaces inside cabinetry and under countertops I often have to work in. Mine has been put through its paces and keeps coming back for more.

I have a barrel handled Bosch as well, and honestly it is my preferred saw, just too big for certain applications. If the little Ridgid dies, I will replace it in a heartbeat.
    Bill R., somewhere in Maine

I have the Makita 4351. Great saw.

Since you won't be using the saw every day, check out the Makita 4329. It's a basic, no-frills jig saw that gets mostly-positive reviews (HD, Amazon, CPO Makita and elsewhere).

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-To...329K/203162044
    Last edited by Bob Faris; 05-29-2015 at 5:12 PM.

Blog Entries
    I have a Bosch (older model) & a Dewalt (I think DW331K). The Bosch is a great saw, but the Dewalt is the one & almost always use. It's not as smooth or quiet as the Bosch, but the blade lock is way better & there are a bunch of small things about it that I like better.

Why not a Bosch? Inexpensive compared to a Festool. Not much more than other brands. I have a barrel grip that I really like. I also have a 18V Ryobi that is OK. But the Bosch is a far nicer tool. With better support. I have a cast aluminum top so I can use it like a scroll saw. And a rip guide I don't think I've ever used. But I use it to cut metal in addition to wood. I am planning to get a Collins coping foot for crown molding coping. If your hands are smaller, a top grip might be better.

I may look into a Bosch. I cannot remember the last time I used a jib saw so I want one that will be inexpensive. I took a wood workers advice years ago and go a Steve Knight 30'' jointer and have used it once. I foresee about the same use of a saber saw and I don't want a couple of hundred dollars sitting in a box. Additionally I am coming to the end of my life span and I don't want to pile up more tools to have sold off at pennies on the dollar. Thanks.

Get used Bosch..1587 or 1590....Great saws
    Jerry

I have looked on Craig's List and other places for over a month and have seen nary a one.

Jerry, why don't you try posting to the classifieds here? There is likely a member with a saw they don't use enough and would part with.

EBay generally has those 2 models...esp 1587.....PM me if u want. I have both a 87 and a 90..Maybe I'll part with one.But Ebay should be your best source.
    Jerry

If you already have a cheap one, and don't plan to use a new one much, as you stated, I suggest you try some good bosch blades in your current saw. Get the ones made in Switzerland, and be sure to get the right tang.

It is amazing how well an old cheapie will work with a really good blade.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

The one I have is about to come apart.

Pawn shops here have the 1487 for around $60 regularly. I own four, non of which was bought new nor for more than $50.