Thread: Table saw gone

Table saw gone

My Jet contractor saw found a new home yesterday. It was sold to a friend who had frequently told me he wants it if it every became available. The saw, the old Jet blue color, was bought 17 years ago a month or so after I retired. My friend only lives about a half mile from me and has assured me I have saw privileges if I ever need them.

I still have a drill press and band saw in my basement shop. I will not part with the band saw. I only used the table saw once last year and probably not for four or five years before that. During that time it had become a repository for wayward tools and other flotsam. Now to figure out how to best use my new found shop space. It measures only 11 x 14 so the space is still pretty limited.

Hard to let things go, isn't it?

I'm beginning to think I need to label every tool I own
    with the date it gets put back in storage.

I'll start checking once a year to see if the anniversary passes.

Good onya for passing a fine tool to someone that will use it.

As a guitar maker, back when that was about all I was really doing,the band saw was by far the most used machine in my shop.

That began to change in the 60's,when I got into also building harpsichords. It all depends upon what you're doing. And how good your back is.

I neglected to mention that in the same week I also parted with my Delta 46-460 lathe setup. The buyer came from Wisconsin to buy it for use by his woodturning club. That was another case where I had not done any turning for two years and just needed to gain space, this time in my garage. I've spent the past couple years trying to move to a more hand tool mode learning to use hand planes and hand saws, including sharpening of the saws. Once I get the basement shop space set, first project will be a saw bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bjorgen View Post
    Once I get the basement shop space set, first project will be a saw bench.
    I built two. One that's just a plain top with a Vee cut in one end and a second after Archaraya Kumarswami's design - with holdfasts.
    They are the same height.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bjorgen View Post
    I neglected to mention that in the same week I also parted with my Delta 46-460 lathe setup. The buyer came from Wisconsin to buy it for use by his woodturning club. That was another case where I had not done any turning for two years and just needed to gain space, this time in my garage. I've spent the past couple years trying to move to a more hand tool mode learning to use hand planes and hand saws, including sharpening of the saws. Once I get the basement shop space set, first project will be a saw bench.
    Sounds like a great plan Charles. Bet you could buy a few really nice handtools for what you got from your electrics! And depending on the size of your bandsaw and how it's equipped, you can use it to make the cuts you don't want to do by hand. I get a lot of small jobs done on my simple 12" JET. I too use my TS less and less.

But letting go is tough!

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”