Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you use a large forstner bit?

How do you use a large forstner bit?

I was using the 3'' saw tooth bit from the kit: Grizzly H5982 set ,used my drill press,low rpm (500 rpm) ,the piece of plywood I was cutting was well clamped but as soon as the tip of the screw touched the wood it grabbed on so hard that I had to shut the drill off to stop,so I manually loosened the bit and removed the center screw from it and continued to cut the 3" hole without the screw end.

I have been told I could just grind the threads and use it like a smaller size forstner bit but I really don't want to change the way this bit was designed, I thought about drilling a larger pilot hole first but is that how these larger forstner/saw tooth bits are used?
    The center screw bit can not be any shorter than it is unless I cut the length of it, would that be a possible solution?
    Here's the bit in question:

71UFA7rvFyL._SL1000_.jpg

Capture.JPGUsually a bit with a screw is NOT designed to be used in a power tool, as you have quickly found out.

Take a look at old time hand brace bits and you will see they have a screw in the center also. Helps pull the tool into the work, supposedly.

Regular forstner bits do NOT have a screw in the center, they have a very short nib with cutting edges.

Take a close look at the picture in this reply.
    Last edited by Ted Reischl; 05-30-2015 at 11:42 AM.

The screw tipped self feed bits are made to use with big handheld drills for construction type jobs. And by big drill, I mean like a Milwaukee Hole Hog or similar design with a lot of leverage and heft.
    JR

If I grind the threads and give the tip a sharp point/edge , it should work in theory.

NOT a forstner bit. Looks like Grizzly is completely clueless.

Those are self feed bits and specifically designed for drilling holes in studs and joists in construction. Designed to be used in a hand held power drill. That shank can be used in a chuck but also in a standard 7/16" hex chuck.

Can't imagine trying to drill plywood but if you insist on trying, I would try 50 rpm, not 500.
    Last edited by Greg R Bradley; 05-30-2015 at 2:18 PM.

Thank you all for your comments.I bought this set never looking beyond the sizes and the price.
    I just drilled a (slightly larger)pilot hole before using that bit and it worked very well.next step is to grind the tip and use it like a forstner bit.

As several others have already posted, it's a self-feed bit with that screw in the middle. The screw pulls it into the wood so the operator doesn't have to push so hard. More commonly calling "plumbing bits", and intended to be used in large, right angled, slow turning drills, like a Milwaukee Hole Hawg. It's not a Forstner bit. I'd complain and ask for the set to be returned.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    It's not a Forstner bit. I'd complain and ask for the set to be returned.
    I bought them from Amazon a year ago to do a project but never got around to use them until now, "Amazon's 30-day returns policy" is long expired.

Quote Originally Posted by ken masoumi View Post
    I bought them from Amazon a year ago to do a project but never got around to use them until now, "Amazon's 30-day returns policy" is long expired.
    Well, both Griz and Amazon have some flex in return policies, sometimes. I know for sure Grizzly does because they took back an item I didnt use 6 mos after I bought it. I paid the return shipping as a compromise. Both firms are reputable and if something is being incorrectly labled/sold, they should be notified. Heck, the owner of Griz often monitors this site and may even respond to this post.

But I urge you to call BEFORE you modify Ken. You can always modify them later.

Let us know what you decide to do and how it goes.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I use 2-7/8" to 3-1/8" Forstner bits to make a flat spot for a faceplate or worm screw in chuck for turning, and often on very irregular hard wood. My Forstner bits do not have a center screw and the feed has to be very slow to avoid grabbing or beating, and the cutting edge has to be sharp. I use my drill press if possible, but for very large pieces a hand held 1/2" drill with brace has to be used and that gets even more exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Well, both Griz and Amazon have some flex in return policies, sometimes. I know for sure Grizzly does because they took back an item I didnt use 6 mos after I bought it. I paid the return shipping as a compromise. Both firms are reputable and if something is being incorrectly labled/sold, they should be notified. Heck, the owner of Griz often monitors this site and may even respond to this post.

But I urge you to call BEFORE you modify Ken. You can always modify them later.

Let us know what you decide to do and how it goes.

Fred
    Maybe I should first try to find out if I can exchange my set with an actual forstner bit set.
    Great advice,thanks fred, I'll update if I hear anything.

Ken

Good advice from all, but when you do finally get a real Forstner bit in that size, 500 rpm is going to be a little fast. There is a lot of mass in a bit that size. Forstner bits are slow speed bits, so you'll need to feed it slow and back it off, then repeat unless your drill press will drop down in rpm quite a bit.
    I can't help but ask if a holesaw isn't more suited to what you are trying to accomplish with that bit.

I wouldn't bother grinding down that screw bit. Those are very aggressive bits and are designed to clear large chunks of softwood waste.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    You found the solution yourself by drilling a pilot hole. I would try to get an exchange for the set before taking the bits to the grinder as well. But then, a good quality 3" Forstner bit can cost some serious money too. http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...80,42240,63566 (example only)

As John - just go carefully in terms of the quality of what you buy Ken if you go down the new route. It wouldn't be hard to jump from the frying pan into the fire. Can't speak for what's on the US market, but having been down the road of a set of Eastern made Forstners i ended up putting out for some good ones. It's no fun when one cuts, the next doesn't, the next off only one side as a result of incompetent grinding of the cutting edges. Plus very poor steel. Colt and Famag are excellent if expensive (consistently clean entry and exit on even construction ply), but maybe there's more economical ones if you know exactly which to buy. Definitely not a product to buy unseen/unreferenced unless going up market.

As often said here it's advisable when possibe to use large Forstners in a drill press - or at least to take a lot of care to hold them accurately vertical if using a hand drill. The problem is that with the large diameter even a tiny tipping out of vertical will cause them to grab to one side, and the long lever may then displace the centre - with the possibility of its having first dug in and caused some splintering.

The type with the very short point/pip in the centre are not the easiest to centre on a mark anyway - it's very hard to see what's happening on the bigger ones. It's sometimes helpful to drill a shallow small diameter starting hole to enage the pip. There may be something going for the variety equipped with a centre twist drill, maybe somebody who has used them can comment? Can the drill be replaced with a short tip or the drill be removed for drilling blind holes?
    Last edited by ian maybury; 05-31-2015 at 5:37 AM.

Great comments ,thank you all .
    Ian, I have not explored the possibility of replacing the center screw bit with a twist drill bit but it is possible ,I'll have to look in to it if I don't hear anything positive from Amazon or Grizzly .
    The twist drill bit will need to be cut to length and I'll have to grind a flat spot on it's shaft so the set screw on the forstner shaft can get tightened against it but overall it is a good alternative to grinding/reshaping the center screw,great suggestion Ian, thank you.