Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Close-Up and Personal Look at the NEW Lie-Nielsen PLOW PLANE

Ooooooo..... I just felt my wallet get lighter.

Although I have a Vintage 1910 Stanley 45. I still think I need one of these. So I can preserve the Stanley for the future. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew N. Masail View Post
    Thanks for posting Karl! Did you happen to move the fence at all? I have a record 50c (I think that's the model) with the same 2 rod fence, it is easy to clamp it out of parallel if there is even a slight amount of play in the rods.!
    No, but I should have. So is the issue with your Record is that you can rack the fence while the clamps are loose, or is it that it slips even when clamped?

Thanks to the folks who pointed out that this tool has nothing to do with Miller's Falls, but rather Miller's *patent*.

Doubtless this refers to Charles G. Miller who was issued Patent US US 131367 A, an "Improvement in carpenters plows" in 1872.

https://www.google.com/patents/US131367

I see this mistake often. This is a "Miller's Patent" style plane developed by Stanley, NOT a Miller's Falls plane. Even Lie-Nielsen himself accidently misspoke in a recent taping from 2014 and initially called the Lie-Nielsen version of this design a Millers Falls plane but then quickly corrected the error and properly identified it as a "Miller's Patent" style plane. Miller worked for Stanley and was responsible for the design. I don't believe Millers Falls ever had a similar product.
    IMG_20150516_110142%20(Large).jpg
    Last edited by Dave Ellis; 07-02-2015 at 4:07 PM.

Not Miller's Falls. The original basis for the new Lie-Nielsen plow plane is the "Miller's Patent" plan manufactured by Stanley Tool and Level. I don't believe that Miller's Falls ever produced such a plane. Charles Miller worked for Stanley and developed the design which he patented and once Stanley purchased the patent rights they proceeded to manufacture the plane. Miller is responsible for many other Stanley joinery planes in addition to this one.

How many blades are going to be available for the plane? Is it going to be just one, or an assortment like the Veritas?

I know the guy who makes screws for LN's planes, or at least he was 10 years ago. I'm not sure if WWII vintage turret lathes will "cut" a Torx head.

Quote Originally Posted by James W Glenn View Post
    I know the guy who makes screws for LN's planes, or at least he was 10 years ago.
    He probably died waiting for LN to bring out a new tool. This thread is now more than a month old and guess what?
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Blog Entries
    I plan to buy one and leave it in the box for a few years...to further build the anticipation.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl Fife View Post
    No, but I should have. So is the issue with your Record is that you can rack the fence while the clamps are loose, or is it that it slips even when clamped?
    yes the fence can rack while loose, even though the fit of the bars to the holes is very close. it almost always clamps out of square.
    once clamped it doesn't slip, but the small thumb screws requires the use of a screw driver to lock tight.

One needs to adjust the fence square once one side is locked. this means repeated settings are fiddly to achieve as this changes the setting slightly...

I guess this system would need ball bearings or something to work accurately ? I think mechanically there are other ways that would be be much more reliable.

I'm not sure if WWII vintage turret lathes will "cut" a Torx head.
    Now that's funny!

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    He probably died waiting for LN to bring out a new tool. This thread is now more than a month old and guess what?
    LN tools may be priced for hedge fund managers and plastic surgeons, but in my past experience, they are made by skilled craftsfolk. I have been critical of their products, in a stomp into the show room, fix this #### now, kind of way, but I cant speak for the concerns of the average consumer.
    Last edited by James W Glenn; 07-04-2015 at 4:21 PM.

Blog Entries
    I love LN, I have 2 of thier saw and they are fantastically made and balanced. My concern is based on the design itself, not on who is making it.

Blog Entries
    LN tools may be priced for hedge fund managers and plastic surgeons, but in my past experience, they are made by skilled craftsfolk. I have been critical of their products, in a stomp into the show room, fix this #### now, kind of way, but I cant speak for the concerns of the average consumer.
    I think it's average on pricing, not really out there. You can buy most of their catalog for about the same price as a cabinet saw and a planer.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    I plan to buy one and leave it in the box for a few years...to further build the anticipation.
    You need to buy two sequentially numbered ones; then you can sell one for $1600.