Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Close-Up and Personal Look at the NEW Lie-Nielsen PLOW PLANE

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    I think it's average on pricing, not really out there. You can buy most of their catalog for about the same price as a cabinet saw and a planer.
    With my personal economic criteria, I only own 3 LN planes, and in general they are models whose utility I could not replicate with restored planes and upgraded blades. A modern plough plane is on my short list, and was a part of of my decision to purchase a vintage contractors saw for my lumber processing needs verses a full cabinet saw set up for joinery. That particular Powermatic will be haunt me as "one that got away" but I only have so many kidneys to work with.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    You need to buy two sequentially numbered ones; then you can sell one for $1600.
    Does numbering them with sharpie count?

Quote Originally Posted by James W Glenn View Post
    With my personal economic criteria, I only own 3 LN planes, and in general they are models whose utility I could not replicate with restored planes and upgraded blades. A modern plough plane is on my short list, and was a part of of my decision to purchase a vintage contractors saw for my lumber processing needs verses a full cabinet saw set up for joinery. That particular Powermatic will be haunt me as "one that got away" but I only have so many kidneys to work with.
    Hah, I know that feeling....I've asked them if they had any dishes that I could wash...
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Funny, yes, but it can. It's not a "cut", it's broached.

They had this exact same tool (the bottom of the handle looks slightly different, like it was sanded down a wee bit) in 2013 and people were frothing all over it (me included). At the time, Lie-Nielsen was promising to release it early 2014. As in 18 months ago. They trot out the exact same tool and promise to release it soon again. I held my breath a little while (10 months?), then bought a Lee Valley and love it. I own many of the more "top shelf" LN planes, but I won't be buying this one... probably. (Sorry this is an old thread, I google LN plow plane every so often and see what's new - I missed this when it first came out)

See this review in 2013: https://whilethegluedries.wordpress....p-carousel-442

Don't apologize for revving an old thread. Nothing wrong with 'Necroposting'. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    I think it's average on pricing, not really out there. You can buy most of their catalog for about the same price as a cabinet saw and a planer.
    I think an economist might say that ALL of the Lie Nielsen tools are quite inexpensive compared to the cost of an original Stanley in its day. The economist would probably argue that you should be looking at the cost of a particular plane (say the number 8) in inflation-adjusted dollars (i.e. how many hours did a carpenter have to work BACK THEN compared to the number of hours a carpenter has to work TODAY in order to buy that equivalent #8 jointer plane).

I suspect that a modern Lie-Nielsen would be (on average) considerably less expensive to buy today than it was then, and that would be if we completely ignore for a moment the fact that a modern Lie Nielsen is actually a superior tool, made with superior manufacturing methods and materials than the Stanley originals.

I think the takeaway from this might be that Veritas, yes Veritas tools, might literally [literally] be the woodworking deal of the century. Consider that Veritas tools are less expensive on average than an equivalent Lie Nielsen, yet they are outstanding tools, superior to the Stanley originals. It's crazy when you think about it like that--especially considering how much we complain about prices. It's maybe crazier still when you consider just how incredibly inexpensive 'ordinary' non-premium tools are. Make no mistake; I can't afford all of the tools I want, but I owe it to myself to be happy about how many more fine tools I have than my grandfather did--and he likely worked more hours than I do.

If somebody can find some prices/facts to shoot down my theory, please chime in. I'd love nothing more than to see this proven wrong or right.
    Last edited by Karl Fife; 10-07-2015 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    You need to buy two sequentially numbered ones; then you can sell one for $1600.

Awesome response.

At the Chicago hand tool event a few weeks back, they said that the plow is literally just weeks away. Please don't ask me how many, I don't know, and neither do they. They've been focusing heavily on this tool now that developing the the honing guide isn't consuming their resources.

It should be interesting.

Just in time for my tax return...muhahahaha

At the tool event in Kentucky, I was told they had no idea when it would come out, but they were working on it. YMMV.
    Last edited by Chris Hachet; 04-04-2016 at 8:11 AM. Reason: spelling

So a year later and still nothing? In the meantime, Lee Valley has launched their new plow plane and bought serious loyalty by providing a no frills and easy modification to owners of existing planes.

Just saying...
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Apples vs. oranges.

Blog Entries
    They are still making a plow plane?
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    So a year later and still nothing? In the meantime, Lee Valley has launched their new plow plane and bought serious loyalty by providing a no frills and easy modification to owners of existing planes.

Just saying...
    Just out of curiosity, why is it that virtually every post you write is either bashing Lie Nielsen, singing the praises of Lee Valley, or both? It's like LV is your hometown football team and LN is the hated rival from the next village. I literally can't think of any other poster here who devotes so much time to trashing one particular tool company. Maybe you could give it a rest. It's not a zero sum game.

For the record, I think they're both great companies…
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

Hilton needs to be reminded that LV was offering a fix for their plow plane that went uncorrected for over two years when they decided to issue new parts and modifications. Very commendable, but also a great example of what Lie-Nielsen is wanting to avoid by withholding new products until they are fully ready. Stuff happens in manufacturing. We should celebrate that there are many well run companies in our hobby with which to do business.
    Last edited by Mike Brady; 04-04-2016 at 1:56 PM.

There's a picture of it in Deneb Puchalski's article "The Core Hand Tools" in the April 2016 issue of Popular Woodworking. Look very nice, assuming that's the final version. Great article as well.