Thread: cyclone muffler

cyclone muffler

After using my cyclone seperator with the grizzly 2hp motor it makes a lot more noise outside where it is vented. Has anyone built a muffler to quiet there unit down and did you see a noticeable difference?

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by William A Johnston View Post
    After using my cyclone seperator with the grizzly 2hp motor it makes a lot more noise outside where it is vented. Has anyone built a muffler to quiet there unit down and did you see a noticeable difference?

Bill

Yes. It can work wonders.

Use MDF, and overlap a couple of slats as in an automobile muffler. Cover all inside areas with 2 - 4" of 4 lbs / cubic foot, unfaced mineral wool. "Rockboard 40" by Allied is an easy to find brand. 2" may be enough, if your noise isn't too low. If your DC makes a "low" pitched rumble, than definitely go with 4" thick MW.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post
    Yes. It can work wonders.

Use MDF, and overlap a couple of slats as in an automobile muffler. Cover all inside areas with 2 - 4" of 4 lbs / cubic foot, unfaced mineral wool. "Rockboard 40" by Allied is an easy to find brand. 2" may be enough, if your noise isn't too low. If your DC makes a "low" pitched rumble, than definitely go with 4" thick MW.
    I just googled rockboard 40. I had no idea something like that was available. Do you know if can be purchased locally or where to look

Sure. Most pro contractor-type retailers carry it. Arzee, etc. (Not Home Depot & Lowes, type stores.)

It primarily sold as insulation, but the acoustics industry has adopted it big time, since it's much easier to deal with than semi-rigid fiberglass. It typically comes in 2' X 4" bats, either 2" or 4" thick, and is also semi-rigid. You can glue it onto the MDF with pretty much any glue.

You might consider covering it with some kind of fabric (I did) such as loose-weave cotton duck. Otherwise, it can pick up a lot of sawdust, though that's probably not a big problem, either.

You might also check the ClearVue forum archives. I remember a lot of discussion on why and how to muffle a cyclone output.

Quote Originally Posted by William A Johnston View Post

Bill
    I installed an Oneida muffler on my Oneida cyclone, it reduced the sound pressure level by 3 dB................Regards, Rod.

I'm going to build my muffler using some scrap plywood and wrap the interior with homasote board. I have both leftover from a project I'm working on at the cabinet business I work at. If i could get it to drop 3db. That would be huge. I don't have a sound meter and I where hearing aids but I will be able to tell if it's quieter. I'll update in a couple weeks. Thanks for all the reply's.

Bill
    Last edited by William A Johnston; 06-02-2015 at 5:51 PM. Reason: spelling