Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raised Bed Garden

Raised Bed Garden

Assembled our garden this week. Took 828 Kreg HD screws (and holes). Came out as designed - my wife is happy!

These didn't come out in the right order but you can see I built some fixtures to ease the repetitive construction. Everything fit perfectly even the 10 sided center (that my wife wants me to make look like a wishing well now).

Blog Entries
    Looking GOOD......

That is going to need a lot of soil to fill them up. Will they be used for flowers, vegetables or both? Post some pictures when they get filled........
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Quote Originally Posted by Von Bickley View Post
    Looking GOOD......

That is going to need a lot of soil to fill them up. Will they be used for flowers, vegetables or both? Post some pictures when they get filled........

I know - around 9 yards. Mostly for vegetables.

Mike

This is going to be one good looking garden.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

I was proud of my raised bed until about 2 minutes ago... Sheesh! That's art! This is my first year with a raised bed filled with a combination of compost and manure. So far, my plants are unlike anything I've ever grown. I'll need a chainsaw to remove my bell peppers.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Pierce View Post
    I was proud of my raised bed until about 2 minutes ago... Sheesh! That's art! This is my first year with a raised bed filled with a combination of compost and manure. So far, my plants are unlike anything I've ever grown. I'll need a chainsaw to remove my bell peppers.
    Thanks for all the comments.

Need to fill these soon we already have the plants. I can get top soil or garden blend locally. The garden blend is twice the cost of top soil! Guess I need to do some quick garden soil research.

Mike

Great idea building them tall! You won't have to stoop over as much to work in there. Before you fill them, you may want to lay down a thin layer of nylon mesh/screen in the bottom, to keep out any moles or other burrowing critters. You might also want to consider lining the boxes with poly wrap, to keep moisture away from the wood.

p.s. spend the money and get the garden soil mix--it should have a composted amendment that will help provide nutrients and lighten the soil for better root growth.
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 06-03-2015 at 10:23 AM.

Very nice! Was wondering if you were planning to apply any type of finish to protect the wood from moisture? Is the wood Pine?

The topsoil will likely compact in short order, I wouldn't use it unless its just to amend compost like 90% compost and 10% topsoil. See if your city sells compost like mine does. Our city compost is cheap, $20 per ton, and its "black gold", plants love it.

Very nice. One word of note since your boxes are taller. If you have any climbing plants, like pickles, peas, etc that you use a trellis or climbing pole for, you may need a step ladder to get to the top. My boxes are 12" tall but trellis I built for the peas, cukes and tomatoes are 6' tall to allow them enough room to grow. At least with your boxes you don't have to bend over so far to work them.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

Beautiful! I'm jealous.

If you don't mind all the extra soil required, the taller the better, IMHO!!!

Looks very nice Mike.

What type of wood did you use?

Regards, Rod.

My son used a couple of old livestock water tanks to make raised gardens. I filled them half full of cow manure compost, then put dirt on top. His plants do well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    My son used a couple of old livestock water tanks to make raised gardens. I filled them half full of cow manure compost, then put dirt on top. His plants do well.
    I ended up buying garden mix - 8 cu. yards! The plants are trying to do well but I have a new problem this year. The raised beds are keeping the rabbits out but now the birds have been pecking at the plants and peppers. I put some aluminum pie tins tied to sticks in the beds but I'm thinking I may need to invest in some kind of netting.

Mike

Nice raised beds...seems like they are too popular. I have same problems....deer, rabbits, ground squirrels, birds, bugs...