Thread: Router Base Question

Router Base Question

I typically use a router table but do have a couple of routers for hand use. Until now, we never had the need to have an adapter for a template guide. Upon looking at both the fixed and plunge base, it appears as though there is no spot for an adapter to fit on a Freud 1700 CVE. Their is simply a large circular hole that does have to threaded screws. Any ideas? Here is a photo borrowed from Freud to show the situation. Thanks.

_freud-ft1700-1-1351187634.jpg

Blog Entries
    Try Pat Warner and see if he can help you. He has bases that will take an adapter.

http://patwarner.com/

I made my own adapter ring for template guides for mine but you can purchase this set from amazon.
    Freud FT2020 Template Guide Kit

A piece of Lexan and a couple Forstner bits, and you make your own.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    I'm with Myk.
    Fit the lexan to the base, mark the center using a V bit in the router and use 2 Forstner bits in a drillpress to cut the hole. Cheaper and quicker than running to the hardware store and trying to find one that fits.

The router bushing set in post #3 and other similar sets come with the large ring with the hole located in the top left of the set pictured. This is an adapter that fits the large hole in your router and the two screws hold it in place. You can then use any one of the router bushings in the set which were made to the Porter Cable router bushing design, a common design shared by many router and router bushing manufacturers. These were the standard design before larger routers became common. Your larger hole router base can accept very large bits like panel raising bits' etc. which did not exist when the earlier and smaller 1/4" routers were common and the Porter Cable router bushing design became common.

Charley

Blog Entries
    There are a number of aftermarket bases that fit the de facto standard PC templates. Lately though, the prices have gotten so high that a base from Pat Warner that is specific to your router would be my choice/ I have done this for a few of mine.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler