Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Home project woes - Need help...

Yet another woe

Water testing today revealed that the exterior door leaks. All that is left is the roof walls, and skylights. Time for a wrecking ball? If I spray water along the left side of the door, the water runs inside within 5 minutes.. That gap gets it 1/4" wide and you can see the house wrap in there. Can anyone tell who makes this exterior door? The one of the left is the interior door. I would like to get the installation instructions and try to determine if it was installed according to code. Are there standard rules for installing all exterior doors? How can I tell if they were followed?

Door2.jpgDoor1.jpgdoor3.jpg

Are there services available where I could get an inspector to come an look at the roof, connecting walls, and skylights to try to verify if they are installed correctly. I am wondering about all of it now. I want to ensure that I know "ALL" the problems before I talk to the contractor. This is going to be way beyond small claims court and if legal is necessary, I want to ensure I do it once.
    Last edited by Raymond Fries; 06-28-2015 at 4:52 PM. Reason: clarification
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

No way to tell what kind of door it is by just looking at it. Do you know what building code you were under when the structure was built, was a permit pulled, was it inspected?

If the door was leaking between the weather stripping and door leaf this likely isnt an installation issue. If the door is leaking from the side of the jamb or trim it may be.

What has the original contractor said?

Addition was under 2009 version of the code. The leak is from spraying water in the gap between the door trim and the siding. I have not contacted the builder yet. Yes a permit was issued but do not know if it was inspected. Will have to look into that. I may just have to ask the builder who made door if I cannot figure it out.

Enjoy Life...

You should be able to call your local building department and have them look up your address and see if you have an open permit.

I think you should call the builder and see what there take is, you seem to be getting geared up for a battle and there is a good chance if they are a reputable builder they will help you out and take care of the problems. If your experience with construction was problematic you may be taking the right approach, but if it went well and the builder was good to deal with they may be willing to address these issues with you.

I just want to make sure that I know how it should be done so I am not possibly handed a shortcut. There have been a few problems along the way and the builder has always fixed them. This is huge though. I am waiting for him to return my call.

Will keep posting progress. I really appreciate everyone's help with this. I have learned alot about construction and. building codes from this.

Enjoy Life...