Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What "Palm Router" do You Recommend and Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Oh? I'd be interested, but I don't see it on the DeWalt site. Got more info, like a part number?
    Sorry, I don't have a model number at hand. I looked at it at Lowes and didn't feel it would do what I want. It was fixed (high) speed, (even) lower power, and didn't seem sized to take any of the accessories. It was, what I think are called, a laminate trimmer. I'm very happy with the DeWalt 611 as my only hand router, but I'm not a power user and and have access to a big table router for heavy-duty cutting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Omission of a shaft lock is a big mistake; I'm sure I'm going to eventually rip the power cord off the housing, because that's how I now hold the housing to tighten the collet.
    What's the yellow button at the bottom of the motor housing then? Thought that was the shaft lock...at least it works as one...

Not going to put it forward as best, but was glad to be able to buy a Makita RT-0701 from a local dealer. Mostly I use it in a small hobby-level CNC, which probably explains the appeal, since the things which it gets dinged on in reviews (will drop to bottom when released from the lock in the base, lack of light) don’t apply to the CNC usage.

Still debating getting the balance of the accessories.

Does anyone have the Grizzly T27139? If it's decent, it's on sale now for $59.99 with both bases. I have a Bosch Colt and like it - I was able to get the fine depth adjustment to work reasonably by adjusting the base clamping pressure. The Bosch plunge base for the Colt seems to go for $85 - $89 just for the base.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/T27139

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    What's the yellow button at the bottom of the motor housing then? Thought that was the shaft lock...at least it works as one...
    Yeah, you're right. It is a shaft lock. I didn't write the problem out clearly. The shaft lock does lock the shaft, but the diameter of the housing is small enough that I can't hold it hard enough to really wrench on the collect. That's why I brace on the strain relief for the power cord. If they had a flat spot on the shaft, like many routers, I could use two wrenches.
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 06-01-2015 at 10:41 AM.

Hi Rich, I have a Porter Cable which I've used 3 or 4 times for laminate trimming. It works fine for that..........Rod.

Blog Entries
    Your satisfaction with the current offerings will vary with your intended use. If you want a small router to get into tight spots or for delicate work, the Bosch Colt would be my choice. If you just want a smaller, lighter router for tasks you might usually use a 1-1/4HP unit for, the DeWalt would be my choice because I like their depth control better. If you will primarily use a plunge base I would return to the Bosch as my choice since their plunge is more comfortable and predictable for me. I think the "feel" of a router comes into play in decision making more than with any other tailed tool. Try to get your hands on one to decide.

P.s. I use two wrenches for collet changes on the Bosch so I can't comment on the spindle lock.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 06-01-2015 at 11:19 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I really liked the Dewalt 611. The two basis on the 611PK version makes it very handy for alot of tasks, and its got plenty of power. I got it for doing inlays but started using it for almost every that uses a smallish bit. I've never had a problem with the shaftlock not holding well enough. I found bit changes on it to be quite easy. I did a video review of it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXs0s2kEbVE

Interesting timing for this post, yesterday I was using my DW 611 and realized that it has become my favorite router (I have 7). Everything about it really pleases me - (balance, weight, visibility, bit change, height adjustment, light, both the fixed/offset and plunge base). Only downside is my tendency to use it instead of its larger brothers. Great value tool.

BTW-I'm not really a big DW fan but this little router truly kicks.

Different reply from me on this subject. I currently have 6 laminate trimmers of various brands: 2 Porter-Cable, 2 Dewalts, one Ryobi and one Bosch that is mounted in a plunge base. Yes I have a router problem. All fit my hand nicely and a couple have a bit permanently installed for a quick grab and go.
    If I were in the market today, the new Bosch would be at the top of the list. Love that had-sized grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    If you can find one, the Porter Cable 310 is the benchmark.

Another power tool that I would've bought a case of had I known they were going to be discontinued.
    When I found out they were going out of production I bought 7 new ones. Still have nine. Not sure how many are in a case?

I've been buying PC-310's on ebay. Found two brand new ones and a used one in great conditions with the tilt base. Now have 3. Sellers want a pretty penny for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    When I found out they were going out of production I bought 7 new ones. Still have nine. Not sure how many are in a case?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Carlson View Post
    I've been buying PC-310's on ebay. Found two brand new ones and a used one in great conditions with the tilt base. Now have 3. Sellers want a pretty penny for them.
    I have one with a tilt as well. I bought a new one with a Betterly miter folder and another with a Betterly slitter when Formica was popular. Ya, I'm that old........