Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Windows 10 will be available July 29

if you have older printers and scanners they may not work on 10. both my older hp printer and epson scanner work on my windows 7 pc but won't on laptop with 8.1. can' get the drivers. mind you I have had them over a doz years but they still work fine. I willl go to 10 in my laptop as that gives you the old start screen
    ron

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ron david View Post
    I willl go to 10 in my laptop as that gives you the old start screen
    ron
    Don't expect it to work EXACTLY like the Win7 start menu. I am just hoping it will be usable for us old school guys (If Win 7 is now considered old school).
    Here is an article about the Win10 Start Menu.
    Here is an article about replacing the Win10 Start menu with some freeware. (There are paid versions too which are in the $5 range) I have one of the paid versions installed on my home PC running Win8.1. I am planning on trying the Win10 start menu before replacing it. (Trying to keep an open mind)
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 07-02-2015 at 10:12 AM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I still miss DOS, when you knew what was on your computer, how it got there, who put it there and what it was for.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weber View Post
    I still miss DOS, when you knew what was on your computer, how it got there, who put it there and what it was for.
    AND when a program was installed everything was placed in the same directory and not hidden in random obscure places nobody would ever look. Want to delete a program? Delete the directory it was in and everything was gone. Of course hard drive space was much more costly and valuable in those days. I guess now we can afford to leave misc. garbage and never again used or needed files on the hard drive. I installed Adobe Suite CS4 (I think) a few years ago and it required over 1 GB of drive space. I remember the first hard drive I ever had was a monstrous 30 MB and I upgraded from the 360K floppy drive to the new 1.44 MB drive about that time. I had complete programs on those 360K floppy disk and my 640K of ram was enough.
    Now using 2TB hard drive with 12 GB of ram.
    Universal Laser ILS 12.150D (48"x24") 135 watts total, with 60 watt and 75 watt laser cartridges. Class 4 Module (pass thru ability). Photograv 3.0, Corel X6, Adobe Design Standard CS4 Suite, Engrave Lab laser Version 8, Melco Single Head Comercial Embroidery Machine, The Magic Touch System with Oki C711WT printer, and Graphtec CE6000-60 plotter.

Blog Entries
    Ah, yeah, those were the days. I remember when MSDOS 5 came out and thinking, man! what more could you ask for from an operating system? I also remember shopping fo a new computer and trying to decide between a 40 and 80 meg hard drive. (that's right, meg!) wondering how I would ever fill up the 80meg drive and trying to justify the extra $100. As I recall, the Tim Taylor in me prevailed and I got the 80meg drive.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

As long as we're reminiscing, my first PC was an IBM with the 5 1/4" floppies - I don't remember whether it had one or two floppies. Then I added a 5MB hard disk drive to it and thought it was really uptown.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    As long as we're reminiscing, my first PC was an IBM with the 5 1/4" floppies - I don't remember whether it had one or two floppies. Then I added a 5MB hard disk drive to it and thought it was really uptown.

Mike
    And it probably cost $5,000. That's what I remember them costing at the time. I also remember, when I realized that I was going to own a computer for the rest of my life. Sort of like knowing you would always own a car, or TV. I just knew I was always going to have one. At that time, I figured I would be getting a new one every 5-7 years and would need to get what ever $2,000 would buy me. I figured the price would stay about the same, but the technology would improve. I never really thought the price would come down too! my number now is more like $500. A$2,000 computer is way overkill for my needs.

I remember the first IBM PC I ever saw was at work. They had one in the accounting department. It had an 8088 processor, 640k ram, 2 5 1/4" floppy drives and an external 10MB hard drive. It had a 10" monochrome monitor and a dot matrix printer. They used mostly to run Visicalc spreadsheets. That whole setup cost just shy of 10 grand.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 07-02-2015 at 4:20 PM.
    Larry J Browning

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    And it probably cost $5,000. That's what I remember them costing at the time. I also remember, when I realized that I was going to need to own a computer for the rest of my life. Sort of like knowing you would always own a car, or TV. I just knew I was always going to have one. At that time, I figured I would be getting a new one every 5-7 years and would need to get what ever $2,000 would buy me. I figured the price would stay about the same, but the technology would improve. I never really thought the price would come down too! my number now is more like $500. A$2,000 computer is way overkill for my needs.
    Yeah, I don't remember what it cost but it had to be less than $5K. I wouldn't have spent that much for a computer - especially back then, $5K was a lot of money. I'm going to guess it was closer to $2K.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.