Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 will be available July 29

Blog Entries

Windows 10 will be available July 29

Looks like I will be having some fun most of August.
    http://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-w...tag=CAD1acfa04

So who's going to upgrade with me?
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Do you think it will provide any more reason to "upgrade" from XP than the other recent versions have given? I haven't seen any new tricks I thought were worth spending the money or learning curve on. Of course I though MS Word hit its optimal level of functionality at version 3.1 in about 1986 and has only become more cluttered and obtuse since then.

I like to wait at least 6 months before upgrading any OS. Windows 7 and 8.1 are working fine for me (I have four Windows licenses). What I want to know is whether I can secure the free upgrade to Windows 10 within the 1-year promotional period, but then shelve it until I am ready to upgrade? I'm not sure I can do this.

Dave

From what I have been reading, Windows will upgrade itself to v10 if you have automatic updates turned on.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John McClanahan View Post
    From what I have been reading, Windows will upgrade itself to v10 if you have automatic updates turned on.

John
    I haven't been paying attention to the press on Windows 10. I did notice yesterday, though, that my notebook (which has automatic updates enabled) shows an icon on the taskbar that encourages me to "Get Windows 10". So far I haven't clicked to see what the next step would be.
    Last edited by Charles Taylor; 06-01-2015 at 2:12 PM.
    Chuck Taylor

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Do you think it will provide any more reason to "upgrade" from XP than the other recent versions have given? I haven't seen any new tricks I thought were worth spending the money or learning curve on. Of course I though MS Word hit its optimal level of functionality at version 3.1 in about 1986 and has only become more cluttered and obtuse since then.
    Roger,
    Could you give me an example of what you would consider to be a good reason to upgrade? Just curious. I would think that the fact that XP is no longer supported by MS would be a pretty good reason all by itself. I know that where I work XP is banned from the network. We spent a WHOLE bunch of money either upgrading or replacing every computer running XP.

I know there may be still some specialty software that won't run properly on Windows 8, and they may not run properly on windows 10. I personally don't think that is Microsoft's fault though.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 06-01-2015 at 2:17 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Taylor View Post
    I haven't been paying attention to the press on Windows 10. I did notice yesterday, though, that my notebook (which has automatic updates enabled) shows an icon on the taskbar that encourages me to "Get Windows 10". So far I haven't.
    Window 10 is not yet available. That icon is for you to reserve a copy for when it does become available. I think that is what John is referring to.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 06-01-2015 at 2:24 PM.
    Larry J Browning

I have Win 7 Pro installed in the home PC and the shop PC. If I upgrade to 10 will it also be the Pro edition? I read the the 10 Home edition will not allow you to turn off the auto update function. I can't allow that in my shop PC.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    I would think that the fact that XP is no longer supported by MS would be a pretty good reason all by itself. I know that where I work XP is banned from the network. We spent a WHOLE bunch of money either upgrading or replacing every computer running XP.
    The only reason I felt it necessary to upgrade from XP was the fact that our secure banking links would no longer accept the older versions of Java that we had with XP and java said the newer versions wouldn't work with XP. I'm a firm believer in "If it isn't broken, don't fix it. I ran XP for years with no problems and very few if any crashes. My feeling is that the software industry drives its own future sales and profits by making software and operating systems obsolete so they can force you into buying newer editions which often time aren't significantly better. Just my 2 cents worth....
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    I personally HATE the metro apps in windows 8, but I found a work around by using a program called StartIsBack, that pretty much eliminates the need to ever see the metro app screens. Best I can tell I will not need StartIsBack in Win10. We will see though.
    Larry J Browning

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    My feeling is that the software industry drives its own future sales and profits by making software and operating systems obsolete so they can force you into buying newer editions which often time aren't significantly better. Just my 2 cents worth....
    I also believe this. However, I also accept it as a fact of life and choose to embrace it rather than fight it. You know what the say "Resistance futile!" So we might as well learn to live with it.
    You can saddle a dead horse, but it won't do you much good.
    Larry J Browning

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I have Win 7 Pro installed in the home PC and the shop PC. If I upgrade to 10 will it also be the Pro edition? I read the the 10 Home edition will not allow you to turn off the auto update function. I can't allow that in my shop PC.
    Here is an article "trying" to explain the different Win 10 versions and the upgrade paths from existing versions. I think your answer is in there somewhere.
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/cont...-announced.htm
    Larry J Browning

Thanks Larry. It looks like if you have 7 Pro the upgrade will be the Pro edition as well.

"Consumers and small businesses with Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, and Windows 8.1 Pro systems will be offered a free online upgrade to Windows 10 Pro."

That makes me feel better.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

An auto update to Windows 10 would be a customer service nightmare, so I hope you're wrong about that. I did read about the upgrade icon appearing if you have automatic updates enabled.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    Looks like I will be having some fun most of August.
    http://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-w...tag=CAD1acfa04

So who's going to upgrade with me?
    I have the "free" upgrade offered to me and i have reserved a copy. Does anyone know what this upgrade will be like? Is it something that can be lived with or some other pile of c**p from MS?