Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 12x30 Workshop About To Become A Reality

Started adding the protective plates over any wire pass through. Only have about 70 of them
    Shocked Smilie.jpg 20150708_211031.jpg 20150708_211114.jpg 20150708_211446.jpg
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast
    Have built things from wood for years, will finally have a shop setup by Sept. 2015 !! OK, maybe by February LOL ……

Smart move on the protective plates. When you start hanging cabinets on the walls, the peace of mind will be invaluable. You can't trust to remember the location of the wiring in those walls after you get them covered.
    Looking good.

I got all of the metal plates installed over any area that wiring ran through the stud.
    My 220v Outlets and Cover Plates came in today.
    Wanted them to stand out, what do you think?

20150710_205600.jpg
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast
    Have built things from wood for years, will finally have a shop setup by Sept. 2015 !! OK, maybe by February LOL ……

Blog Entries
    If you have all of your rough-in wiring complete, lets get some insulation in........
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Yes the insulation is next, but will have to wait until the end of next week.
    Very busy for the next few days
    Then it will be time to make it happen.
    I have decided to not use OSB on the walls and ceiling.
    I will use 15/32" BC Plywood on the walls and light weight 1/2" drywall on the ceilings.
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast

I have been very busy, but found some time tonight to run some more wire. Like I needed more outlets LOL
    Actually what I ran was for an exterior 20amp Outlet with a 20amp GFCI outlet inside.
    I also ran a dedicated line to the location for the outside LED motion lights.
    And finally, I ran a 10/2 line to the back corner of the shop where it will go to an outside box. It is not connected inside the breaker panel or to anything outside.
    If I ever get the outside room for the dust collector & Air Compressor, this will be the feed line.
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
    I will use 15/32" BC Plywood on the walls and light weight 1/2" drywall on the ceilings.
    I like the idea of plywood on the walls. I would probably use it on the ceiling as well, maybe 3/8 inch.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Quote Originally Posted by Von Bickley View Post
    I like the idea of plywood on the walls. I would probably use it on the ceiling as well, maybe 3/8 inch.
    Looked at use the 3/8 on the ceiling, but the drywall will be easier to form to the pitch and flat areas.

Seeing as my 401k funds that I requested have not shown up yet, I found other things to keep me busy until I can purchase the insulation, plywood & drywall.

I did build my first ever set of stair stringers today. Was surprised at how easy it was
    No sooner got them done and the everyday every afternoon rains moved in
    I did cut a third stringer for the center. Thought 2 would be enough, but will add the third to eliminate the flex of the 5/4 deck board.

I spent most of the evening emptying the workshop and sweeping the floor.
    I found at lest 30 or 40 screws in the floor that will need to be tightened down. Metal dust pan edge finds the high screws very easily.
    After I get them tightened down tomorrow afternoon, I hope to get the acrylic floor stain / sealer down.

20150718_163238.jpg 20150718_163218.jpg 20150718_213333.jpg
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast

Got the floor stained today.
    Now I can start moving in the tools that I will need to put up the walls and ceiling.
    Then it will be time to build all the work benches and such.
    20150720_195648.jpg 20150720_202223.jpg
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast

Things are starting to come together.
    I picked up the wire to go from the garage to the shop and the wall insulation.
    Tomorrow I will get the ceiling insulation and the OSB plywood to cover the walls. Yes, i went back to the OSB. The B-C 15/32 plywood is 3 times the price and I can put that money into better things.
    20150724_234642.jpg 20150725_215322.jpg
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast

Picked up the ceiling insulation and the 7/16" OSB plywood today.
    Got the side light and motion light installed.
    Will get the insulation done evenings this week and hope to hang OSB on the walls and ceilings next weekend.
    Love the LED outside lights ......
    20150726_135016.jpg 20150726_193247.jpg 20150726_193222.jpg 20150726_195959.jpg
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast

OSB is on my shop walls, screwed to the studs in case I ever have to remove them later. Came in handy as I did not insulate the walls until years later.
    I primed and painted them after adding insulation to hide the wood chip look. Some folks like this look, but I did not.
    Insulating them now rather than later is a big benefit, as removing cabinets/shelves/machines was a lot of work. I know.
    By the way; looking good so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    OSB is on my shop walls, screwed to the studs in case I ever have to remove them later. Came in handy as I did not insulate the walls until years later.
    I primed and painted them after adding insulation to hide the wood chip look. Some folks like this look, but I did not.
    Insulating them now rather than later is a big benefit, as removing cabinets/shelves/machines was a lot of work. I know.
    By the way; looking good so far.
    Thanks Mike.
    That was the reason that I wanted B-C Plywood, but at 3 times the cost, I decided the OSB will be fine and I have already bought white ceiling paint and Hawaiian Pineapple Yellow for the walls. I am sure it will make me feel like I am in Hawaii LOL, but it will brighten up the shop.
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast

Speaking of brightening up the shop

I picked up the 4 ft. LED shop lights from SAM's today. I will use 12, but bought 13.
    The extra will go into the garage to replace a standard T-5 shop light.

20150727_151122.jpg 20150727_151144.jpg
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast

I got 10 of the same lights to put in my shop. Let me know how you end up attaching them to the ceiling. 2 of mine came with 2x 1ft pcs of chain to hang them with but the others came with a cheap feeling plastic hanger that I won't be using. Kind of thinking about making up a thin strip of plywood and attaching maybe 2 or 3 lights to it then hanging the whole setup on the ceiling with screws so the lights aren't hanging down very far. Haven't decided yet. Looking forward to your progress.