Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 12x30 Workshop About To Become A Reality

I had a third garage stall added last year that is 14x24 - so not a lot different in size. I have a 9 foot garage door at one end an a 36 inch door at the other end + two windows.

I use 7/16 waferboard on the walls (mine are only partially done) that I skim coat with drywall compound and paint with cheap ceiling paint. The drywall compound fills the small voids pretty well and the paint brightens things up a lot.

I am at the other end of your plan for wiring. I have only two circuits in my shop. One 20 amp 110V circuit for tools and a 15amp circuit for lights. I put a few outlets off the lighting circuit in case I ever have to use them. I had the same sort of setup in my last shop and it worked well for me for over 10 years. I can only use one tool at a time and it is only me using the shop. I have no tools that need 220V or more than 20A. I kind of wanted a 220V for possible welder use but didn't have the wire run and would probably never use it anyway. My son has multiple welders and isn't far away. My outlets are about 4 feet off the floor. I have 6 cheap 2 bulb light fixtures with 60W equivalent CFLs that give me enough light. If I ever need more, I will use the larger 23W CFLs (100W equivalent).

I used to have a big table saw and used my workbench for outfeed support. I used the router table for infeed support. These days I use a track saw and don't need so much space for the table saw. I think the track saw/table saw combination is better - at least for me. I also put a 12 inch CMS next to my RAS on the same bench and they will share stops. I like doing angles on the CMS and wider straight cuts and dados on the RAS. My dust collection is a shop vacuum/dust deputy combination on a cart. I have a small DC but haven't hooked it up. I don't have space for both and need the shop vacuum for the track saw and smaller tools. It works fine on my Ryobi BT3100 table saw.
    Last edited by Jim Dwight; 06-24-2015 at 3:40 PM.

Hi Jim, Thanks for sharing.
    I am putting down a wood laminate floor, OSB on the walls and ceiling. The ceiling will be bright white, the wall color is up in the air. Believe it or not, I am considering a Neon Green, Hemi Orange or Bright Yellow. Just want a little excitement in the color
    I will have 12 - 4 ft dual row LED shop lights for lighting. I will have an outlet every 4 feet and they will be 56" above the floor. I will need 220v outlets. I am buying the Grizzly 17" Band Saw that is wired for 220v and my Table Saw will convert to 220v. They will run more efficiently on 220v.
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast
    Have built things from wood for years, will finally have a shop setup by Sept. 2015 !! OK, maybe by February LOL ……

Steve,

I would insulate with plain old R-13 batts, more in the ceiling if it will fit. I'm a mechanical engineer and very skeptical of radiant barriers. Thermal energy transfer by radiation is a function of the temperature difference to the fourth power. The sun gets us energy this way because it is extremely hot. Reflecting it's energy makes sense. But reflecting away the outside wall temperature (less than 200 F) just doesn't make sense. You also need insulation in the floor if there is a way to do it. Decently insulated I am pretty sure a small window unit will cool your shop. If you don't want to do it that way, you could use a small ductless system. They are very efficient and can be installed pretty easily.

My wood rack is 18 inch pieces of 3/4 conduit in holes in doubled 2x4s on the wall above my RAS and CMS. Most of my wall studs were doubled by the contractor. The original garage was ballon framed and he conventionally framed the addition and added his own studs. I added a few to give me all doubles. It's a cheap way to make a sturdy rack. I have it loaded up with oak and it seems fine.

My outlets are also on 4 foot centers.

Jim

My shop is in central Kansas, it has been above 100 a few days this week. Good for wheat harvest, would say for hay too, but my baler plugged twice today on wet hay, been cut since last Saturday. The 2 ton ac has not been on, but my thinking is 2 ton is much too much for your shop, when compared to my 26x 66. When I built my house, went crazy on insulation, it is over 1700 sf, and 2 tons cools it well. My wife sets it about 77, and it has been able to maintain that and turn off part of the time on these 100 plus days.

I am going to go with conventional paper backed fiberglass insulation. I am not comfortable with the reflective yet. I will use R13 in the walls and R30 in the ceiling. Both will be covered with 7/16" OSB. Would be very difficult to insulate the floor. It has 3/4" PT Plywood and I am adding a wood laminate over that.
    The 2 ton A/C unit is coming from a fellow wood worker that owns an A/C company. I totally trust his judgement on this. Might be over kill by many opinions, but it is what we are going to do.

6 MORE DAYS !!!!! SHED WILL BE HERE !!!!
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast
    Have built things from wood for years, will finally have a shop setup by Sept. 2015 !! OK, maybe by February LOL ……

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post

6 MORE DAYS !!!!! SHED WILL BE HERE !!!!
    You can not call it a shed. It deserves a better name such as work-shop, wood-shop, Steve's place, or just shop.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Quote Originally Posted by Von Bickley View Post
    You can not call it a shed. It deserves a better name such as work-shop, wood-shop, Steve's place, or just shop.
    LOL.jpg

Until it gets here and is converted from a simple shed to an incredible wood working shop, it's just a SHED

On Tuesday, I will officially start calling it Steve's Wood Working Shop

Wood Working Man.gif
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast

Update ................

5 MORE DAYS !!!!!!
    Before Shot.jpg Stump.jpg Cleared Area.jpg 12x30 Outline.jpg
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast

Love the construction picture Steve. Congrats my friend.

3 MORE DAYS!!!!!

Went to HD today and picked up my Main Breaker Panel (Sub-Panel), 40 Outlet boxes, 6 switch boxes, breakers, etc.
    I got all the outlets and covers via UPS yesterday. Found the best deal was at http://www.deepsurplus.com

20150627_173258.jpg 20150627_173204.jpg 20150627_173217.jpg 20150627_173242.jpg

Yes, I know that I have to add a separate ground bar to this panel. Already have it.
    Electritian.gif
    Last edited by Steve Kinnaird; 06-27-2015 at 7:49 PM.
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast

The shed, from now on know as The Work Shop as arrived !!!!
    Let the build out begin.
    Here is a short video of the delivery.
    I had to go to work half way through the delivery
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVxXQ0EcUU4
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations! I used to live in Palm Bay years ago. Good thing you're gonna have A/C. It gets hot down there!

Thanks guys.
    Setup a folding table and took the sub-panel and electrical pieces and parts out there tonight.
    Hope to get a little done each evening and make big strides on the weekends.
    Definitely need a set of steps. The 18" first step is just a little too much
    Last edited by Steve Kinnaird; 07-01-2015 at 12:19 AM.
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
    I had to go to work half way through the delivery
    I would have to call in sick.......
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution