Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: 12x30 Workshop About To Become A Reality

Can't wait
    Cabinets, Benches, Outfeed Table ....... and more.

I have friends asking me what I plan on building with such an extensive workshop. I always tell them, Bird Houses. I then get that deer in the headlights look. LOL
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast
    Have built things from wood for years, will finally have a shop setup by Sept. 2015 !! OK, maybe by February LOL ……

A few PIC's of the progress.......

20160112_192652.jpg 20160112_192711.jpg 20160113_182301.jpg
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast
    Have built things from wood for years, will finally have a shop setup by Sept. 2015 !! OK, maybe by February LOL ……

Do I need a toe kick under my built-in work benches?
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast

I like one. I know because I did not put one on my outfeed table. Often I pull up a stool to it and wish I had one. Most all of my larger flat surfaces I seem to find the cleanest one and pull up a stool when needed. They are nice but certainly not needed if it is overly difficult to alter or design, or if you already have one installed. I manage just fine without one, but am reminded every time I sit at the outfeed table that I wish I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Jebediah Eckert View Post
    I like one. I know because I did not put one on my outfeed table. Often I pull up a stool to it and wish I had one. Most all of my larger flat surfaces I seem to find the cleanest one and pull up a stool when needed. They are nice but certainly not needed if it is overly difficult to alter or design, or if you already have one installed. I manage just fine without one, but am reminded every time I sit at the outfeed table that I wish I did.
    Thanks for the reply.
    I agree, better to have it than to not have it and wish I had.
    I am just starting the bench builds for the shop and will be sure to have the toe kick.
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
    Update ................

5 MORE DAYS !!!!!!
    Attachment 316305 Attachment 316306 Attachment 316307 Attachment 316308
    Excellent. My only two cents are you seem to have a duplication of function. I would cut it to two work benches....one no wider than 24 inches so you can get at all sides of what you are working on, and one larger one as an assembly table and outfeed table. Don't know how you work, so take this with a grain of salt.

Good luck on the new Shop! Progress is always nice to see.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    Excellent. My only two cents are you seem to have a duplication of function. I would cut it to two work benches....one no wider than 24 inches so you can get at all sides of what you are working on, and one larger one as an assembly table and outfeed table. Don't know how you work, so take this with a grain of salt.

Good luck on the new Shop! Progress is always nice to see.

Chris
    The workbench that I am working on will be 8' long and 24" wide. It will have a RAS mounted level with it and then an additional 6' x 24" bench.
    Both benches will be permanently attached.

________________RAS____________
    /////////////////////////////////////////
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast

Build a recessed platform for your cabinets to act as the toe kick. Then you can just build rectangular boxes for the cabinets and not have to deal with cutting out the toe kick area...and it's FAR easier to level, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Build a recessed platform for your cabinets to act as the toe kick. Then you can just build rectangular boxes for the cabinets and not have to deal with cutting out the toe kick area...and it's FAR easier to level, too.

Thanks, I was close to that idea, but was building into the design.
    It will be a basic workbench and I will slide cabinets or drawers in later.
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast

Picked up enough lumber today to build a couple work benches and the out building to hold the dust collector, air compressor and generator.
    It will be a 6ft x 4ft shed with 8ft walls.
    Very simple 24" on center floor and walls. Picked up a 36" Pre-Hung Steel Door.
    Will put PT 4x4's 6" above the ground and 2ft into the ground, secured with Quickcrete
    PT 2x4 frame for the floor with 3/4" PT Plywood floor.
    I will post PIC's as I progress.
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast

Looks like everything is moving along. I would really consider going 16" on center instead of 24". It wouldn't take much more lumber.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

WHAT!!!! You want me to use 3 or 4 more 2x4's. Are you kidding me!!!!!!!

Just messing around......
    The main workshop is 24 on center and it is plenty strong.
    This shed will just be a housing for the DC, Compressor & Generator.
    Won't see much traffic.
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast