Thread: 3-Peat Blue Pine Collaboration Finished

3-Peat Blue Pine Collaboration Finished

Not to beat a dead horse, but in case anyone wondered how the airbrushed glue stained pine bowl came out, here it is. Thanks Steve. Beetle-Stained Pine 8-3/4 x 4", DO, WOP, waxed & buffed. Thanks for looking, again.

2015-06-02.jpg
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

looks good Doug

Very nice how it ended up.

Nicest blue stain pine piece ever. The Rockies are full of bluestain pine now. Green trees are very rare now in the US and Canadian Rockies. Trying to go east now.

That is some eye candy Doug, never saw a nicer one.
    Have fun and take care

Doug, that's a great looking bowl. Do you have a secret on sanding? I've got two pieces that I'm working on and the pitch really gums up the sandpaper. I think I've gone thru more paper on these two bowls than on the last 10 that I've done.
    Steve

Try wet sanding with soapy water.

Awesome Doug! The colors on the bowl are really something as well as some of the other pieces you had in your home. Not sure I have ever seen a piece with so much of the blue like that. I like how you shot this on the pine stump too, just a nice effect. Very nice work indeed!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Doerr View Post
    Doug, that's a great looking bowl. Do you have a secret on sanding? I've got two pieces that I'm working on and the pitch really gums up the sandpaper. I think I've gone thru more paper on these two bowls than on the last 10 that I've done.
    Steve
    Except for branch inclusions, I just haven't seen much pitch in the pine I've worked with. Most of the stuff on my land is Ponderosa, but this tree is from Iowa and I have no idea what variety it was. The branches circled the trunk like a spruce or NIP and the blue stain went all the way around, too, as you can see. I do try to minimize sanding with shear cuts to reduce tear out, but I do buy 80 grit in bulk lol.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. I have a couple more roughs from this tree. I hope they aren't such a problem.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."

Very nice bowl, love the color.
    BTW, sounds like it is an Eastern White Pine per your description of the tree. Not many on my property but do have a few. Have plenty of yellow pine and loblolly though.

That's a great bowl with great color. Was it just the black stripe that was airbrushed to cover up the stain?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Gourieux View Post
    That's a great bowl with great color. Was it just the black stripe that was airbrushed to cover up the stain?
    Eric, Steve lengthened one black stripe that occurred naturally about 2-3" to cover the glue stain. All the other colors are natural.

Blog Entries
    That goes on the mantel

Quote Originally Posted by john taliaferro View Post
    That goes on the mantel
    I'm pretty sure I'm giving it away. SWMBO says no more in the house, but I have requests from family and friends. Thanks, though.