Thread: Cottonwood Crotch Platter

Cottonwood Crotch Platter

I didn't quite frame the feather the way I wanted. Maybe if you cover one eye. Cottonwood 9 x 1", Gloss WOP.

IMG_8967.jpgIMG_8968.jpg
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Blog Entries
    Very pretty wood. Nice job

Looks pretty good to me too. I like how the bottom came out.

Very, very nice!

Beautiful piece Doug. I like the contrast of grain from one side to the other.

Oh a beauty if I ever saw one Doug, that mundane Poplar can have some awesome grain an feather, I do like it a lot 1thumb.gif
    Have fun and take care

That one is simple all eye candy. Like Toby, I too like the contrast myself as I think it adds to it. I just roughed out 2 cottonwood bowls last weekend, but the crotch is more like a big branch. I would be thrilled if they looked half as nice as what you have here. Nice work Doug, that's a real looker! If the rain ever stops, going to get out and cut some firewood, so will be looking for some cedar blocks for the next trip to Springs.

Love it! Nice big feather. Only thing missing is your signature on the bottom.

Did you cut the crotch down through the piths like a regular log, and this is from one of the halves?

Thanks for the comments. Steve, if you need help cutting wood, let me know. Have saw, will travel.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Boy Doug, you can really bring out the features in wood! This looks almost liquid. Beautifully done.

11. Pretty nice eye candy there, Doug! Nicely done!!!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Awesome. I think the feather looks perfect off center like that.

Very nice crotch piece Doug! Love the way cottonwood and especially the way crotch pieces can turn out. Beautiful feather in that one!
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.

This makes me think I shouldn't have turned down those cottonwood logs near me. It looks great.