Thread: Thin Cork supplier?

Thin Cork supplier?

Anyone have a wholesale source for thin cork with adhesive on it? They sell some "shelf liner" in the box stores and seems perfect, but I'd like to find a wholesale source for something like that. I can find .8mm cork for about $6 a sheet, but with adhesive, they want $35 per sheet. Almost $30 to put a sheet of adhesive on seems really steep.

Anyone got a source? I need a fair amount of it.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Well, you could buy the double-side 2mil adhesive in sheets and do it yourself, but I doubt that would be any cheaper. I used to get it from Johnson Plastic (IIRC) for use with wood veneer.

When you say "fair amount", how much are we talking about? I wouldn't think it would be that hard to find a wholesale source for the shelf-liner rolls in case or pallet quantities. (Uline maybe?)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Yeah, I have the ability to put the glue sheets on the cork as well. I can run it through one side of our laminator and get it all on the if needed. I'd much rather buy it already done, but if all else fails, I guess that's what I'll have to do.

I probably need 10 rolls of the shelf liner type for this first run and after that, the amount is going to increase substantially. I'm doing sizes that are in the 4" sq. range and the next project is more like 20" x 14", so those are going to take a lot of material.
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    I can find .8mm cork for about $6 a sheet, but with adhesive, they want $35 per sheet.
    How big is that "sheet"?
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    I probably need 10 rolls of the shelf liner type for this first run and after that, the amount is going to increase substantially. I'm doing sizes that are in the 4" sq. range and the next project is more like 20" x 14", so those are going to take a lot of material.
    Cheapest I'm seeing is the Contact shelf stuff for $6 on Amazon...$1/sqft. Everywhere else is more like $1.50/sqft.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    How big is that "sheet"?
    Sorry, it was $30.43 a sheet with the adhesive, $6.92 a sheet without. The sheets are 2' x 3'. I'd really like to find some wider and longer rolls, maybe 48" wide by 100 ft. long or something.

I have bought from Atlantic Gasket Co. Get 36" wide rolls w/PSA. I believe their minimum order is 50 sq. yds.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin
    SawmillCreek.org
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    45W Epilog Helix
    Corel X4, Photoshop CS3
    Sherline 4400 lathe
    JET 1221 Lathe
    JET 1014 Lathe
    Craftman 36" VS lathe

I haven't bought from them nor have I priced their products but you might check the cork supplier we have on our supplier list here --> http://www.corkstore.com/
    Jeanette Brewer
    Engraving Concepts

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette Brewer View Post
    I haven't bought from them nor have I priced their products but you might check the cork supplier we have on our supplier list here --> http://www.corkstore.com/
    Their product line seems to be biased heavily toward bulletin boards and industrial apps: about the thinnest stuff I saw there is 6mm...did I not look in the right place?

I'm sure you're right, though it might be worth an email/phone call to them?

I'm not encouraging anyone to buy from them, simply adding them to the mix of suppliers since they're on our (and Epilog Laser's/corporate) "supplier list" under cork.
    Jeanette Brewer
    Engraving Concepts