Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are carpenters a dying breed?

Are carpenters a dying breed?

They don't teach it in school anymore hardly, which makes me wonder if this industry is in high demand. I've always kept this as a hobby, but I've been using power tools since I was 12. I'm 26 now. Is there good money in this industry?

Travis,

I just saw a study in the last 2 days or so where in the list of 10 profession that enough workers can't be found, the "trades" including carpenters was one of the 10.

Do a quick search on college carpentry courses. Currently we are having an addition built onto our kitchen and a complete gut and remodel of the kitchen. My contractor built the empty shell of my standalone woodworking shop some years ago. Just prior to that, he had been the guy teaching the carpentry course at a local college. When budget cuts came around, his classes was the first cut. When students sued the college because they were in the middle of a multi-year degree program which was halted by their course cuts, the college elected to restart the program. My contractor turned down their request to rehire him.

The demand is there and I think it will always be there. Not many people have the knowledge or the talent to build their own buildings, homes etc.

Like many other businesses, the construction industry is heavily influenced by the current economy so there are up and down swings.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I'm not sure about Carpenters, but I do believe that Wood Finishers are a Dyeing breed.

The last recession wiped alot of them away, I think it will be a while before people are brave enough to get back into it professionally. The ones that stuck it out are pretty buisy though, at least in my area.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I'm not sure about Carpenters, but I do believe that Wood Finishers are a Dyeing breed.
    This is Ken in Idaho.....looking down.....shaking his head!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

In our area, it seems like most are leaning toward a one building skill occupation, meaning just a cement man or roofer, framer, painter, etc, etc. Not too many of the foundation to finish guys around anymore.

At least in Portland skilled carpenters are in very high demand. Lots of old houses being worked on, lots of small to medium sized firms essentially are always hiring.

Pretty good wages for skilled folks, and in my experience one of the few industries where someone can start with very little experience and work their way up within a few years.

No, carpenters are not going away. Most houses in the US are made largely from wood. New construction, repair, and remodeling all require carpenters.

I think that few carpenters learn the trade in schools. It is generally learned on job sites as an apprentice.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Conner View Post
    They don't teach it in school anymore hardly, which makes me wonder if this industry is in high demand. I've always kept this as a hobby, but I've been using power tools since I was 12. I'm 26 now. Is there good money in this industry?
    Hi Travis, of course they still teach carpentry through the same method it's been done for ages, by apprenticeships.

A combination of on the job training and classroom work is required.

I don't find talking to carpenters that the pay is that great, other skilled trades seem to pay more where I live............regards, Rod.

I had to look at that one twice. Made me grin and groan.

Ok, you've had you 15 minutes of infamy.......................Rod.

Some kind of suspension is in order. Seriously.

Our high school has a carpentry program. They build homes around the county.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Do a quick search on college carpentry courses. .............Just prior to that, he had been the guy teaching the carpentry course at a local college. When budget cuts came around, his classes was the first cut. When students sued the college because they were in the middle of a multi-year degree program which was halted by their course cuts, the college elected to restart the program. etc.
    I am truely amazed that you could find a carpentry course at any accredited college or university. If you mean vo-tech school, OK, but that's not college. Carpentry is a skill learned through tradesmanship programs

They still teach carpentry in the local technical high schools here. I worked with a graduate from the local schools wood working program, not sure if they distinguish that from carpentry in my counties program? This kid didn't know basic math, had a high school degree, trying to explain how to convert square feet on a job card into lineal feet as they come out of a molder was like talking to a log. Seriously...3" face, how many times 3" across does it take to get to 12".....crickets.....Bueller.....anybody....." . Don't want that one framing my roof. I remember tutoring a friend who was in the carpentry program at the tech school where I grew up in trig, I had been taking it for years in college prep programs, he was stumped and didn't know why he even needed it. I guess what you can do will determine where you end up in the field. There are still some fantastic carpenters in my area, most tend to specialize or become general contractors managing different subs who are more specialized. Some gravitate towards framing, some towards trim, window and door installs, some roofing and siding. It's more cost effective to have a crew that is really good and very fast at one thing. The most versatile guys I've met who could do it all at a high level tended to be working high end residential and commercial, where the jobs were really complicated and the skill set required was compensated. There remains an incredible concentration of wealth in this Boston to Washington coridor of the Northeast, and I live close to NYC which is a major hub of wealth. Wealthy people can afford to pay good tradesmen, so they persist here. But here is also a lot of prefab factory built stuff locally for regular folks, several large manufacturers exist nearby. I've seen examples of these homes, not sure what to call the people who build them? They are well made, cost effective housing, but in the factory setting each employee is very specialized and its dumbed down to minimize thinking....and wages.

Short answer, carpentry is not dead but seems to be adjusting to a new normal where 10% of the population has 90% of the wealth and everybody else scrapes by.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel