Thread: Wood Drying, maple and Walnut

Wood Drying, maple and Walnut

Hi All,
    I was lucky enough to receive some slabs of Hard Maple and some Walnut last fall.
    It has been stored in my Cargo Trailer for the winter and when I opened it up yesterday I noticed that there is Mould forming on all the pieces. I have brushed off the mould and re coated the ends with primer paint.
    Is there anything else I can do to stop the mould?

The picture is looking into my 6 x 10 foot enclosed cargo trailer. There are 10 slabs / chunks in there.

Thanks
    Peter F.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It is probably just surface mold and will plane or turn off. Air circulation should prohibit further mold growth, you could also mix up a weak solution of bleach in a pump sprayer and lightly mist the lumber.

I agree mold can usually be easily removed without affecting deep into the wood. The exception I found was some light-colored woods that stayed too damp for too long sometimes developed a deep grey "stain" which I guessed was related to mold, but I don't know for sure. Only way to tell is cut into it. BTW, for turning blanks, I like to cut slabs into a variety of smaller pieces that dry quicker. I've never used primer paint but have had good luck with Anchor seal on the ends.

I also use bleach with a bristle brush or broom. I brush off any removable mold outside first. You don't need much bleach in the water, in fact I read that a weak solution was more effective that a strong solution or full strength.

If I find mold in a stack of construction lumber I spray, brush, hose off, then let the surface dry. I don't think I'd do this for turning wood!

Quote Originally Posted by daryl moses View Post
    It is probably just surface mold and will plane or turn off. Air circulation should prohibit further mold growth, you could also mix up a weak solution of bleach in a pump sprayer and lightly mist the lumber.
    +1. I think you've got to get some air circulating through the wood. any way to open up the front cover on the trailer?
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Hi Peter,

mold is a fungus, and fungi need moisture to thrive, so for delicate Wood work I usually seal the whole piece. Sincé there´s no perfect sealer, there will always be molecules scaping and entering through the sealer pores. Nonetheless, it is a slow exchange between Wood cells and the outside...

Thanks all,
    The trailer was quite wet inside after sitting closed up for the winter. There are no vents in the body of the trailer. I guess I had better open it up frequently to allow the moisture to get out and for the wood to dry slowly.
    thanks
    Peter F.

Stacked and stickered outside with some sheet metal on top (with some overhang) is a better drying method than having it in a trailer.