Thread: Necessary to ground compressor switch?

Necessary to ground compressor switch?

I'm installing a new used air compressor outside my shop, and hard-wiring it through an older 2-pole Square D enclosed switch on the interior of the shop.

The switch (older metal lever, 2 buss fuse style) does not appear to have any grounding poles. Can I just cap the ground coming from the panel/previous receptacle, and the one from the compressor? Should I pigtail the grounds together, making a continuous ground from previous receptacle to the compressor but bypassing any grounding in the switch? Or, should I just drill and add a screw the box to connect the ground to?

Any other reason I shouldn't be installing this type of switch for an air compressor?

Thanks
    Melad StudioWorks
    North Brookfield, MA

You can easily install a grounding lug in the case of the disconnect. All you have to do is drill and tap the metal case and mount a ground lug to it. Do not cap the ground. Terminate it inside the disconnect and make sure the compressor is grounded too.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Great, thanks Julie. Is there any significant difference between using a grounding lug and just driving a screw into the enclosure to terminate the ground?
    Melad StudioWorks
    North Brookfield, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Melad View Post
    Great, thanks Julie. Is there any significant difference between using a grounding lug and just driving a screw into the enclosure to terminate the ground?
    Just make sure the metal you're bonding to is bare. No paint, no rust, etc. If you have to, scrape an area clean to expose bare metal then make sure all the strands of the ground wire are under the screw head or washer and it's well secured. Don't rely on just the threads of the screw to make the bond.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    Just make sure the metal you're bonding to is bare. No paint, no rust, etc. If you have to, scrape an area clean to expose bare metal then make sure all the strands of the ground wire are under the screw head or washer and it's well secured. Don't rely on just the threads of the screw to make the bond.

thanks again
    Melad StudioWorks
    North Brookfield, MA