Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Turning Project & Intro

First Turning Project & Intro

Hello Everyone from the Mitten State,

I just picked up a lathe (10" x 18") and some tools from the local Harbor Freight. After watching a few videos and reading a few reviews it seemed like a good lathe to start with without spending a lot of money. With a sale, coupons, and a couple of gift cards I got out of the store pretty cheap.

I think I'm going down another rabbit hole with this new hobby. I stayed up till 1 AM the other night turning my first project, a new shift knob for my Saturn Ion. Honestly I think it's too nice for the car!

I'm sure I'll have a bunch of questions and have a lot fun using this new toy. I already have gifts figured out for four or five friends and family.

Thanks,
    Andy

2. Nice shift knob! Welcome to the Vortex we call woodturning.........if you are like most who embark on this hobby, then that won't be your last lathe!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Nice job on the first project. It is indeed a rabbit hole, welcome to the vortex

Nice looking shift knob, you did good!!

Nice job Andrew on your first piece and welcome to the dark side.

Nice job!
    How did you drill the hole for the stick? In case you didn't already know, you can get a drill chuck for the tailstock, and drill a perfectly centered and straight hole.

nice first one. Now the question is what finish to put on it. Ask 10 people and get 15 different opinions!... which is part of the fun...

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    Nice job!
    How did you drill the hole for the stick? In case you didn't already know, you can get a drill chuck for the tailstock, and drill a perfectly centered and straight hole.
    I used the point from the live center as a centering hole and hand drilled it. I need to pick up a Jacobs chuck for the tail stock.

I'm a little familiar with lathe work from my highschool and college machining classes. But using your hands to sculpt the shape you want it fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Little View Post
    I used the point from the live center as a centering hole and hand drilled it. I need to pick up a Jacobs chuck for the tail stock.

I'm a little familiar with lathe work from my highschool and college machining classes. But using your hands to sculpt the shape you want it fun.
    And the speed with which you get results is addicting...

Welcome to the vortex - Take out your wallet and look at the money inside - this may be the last time there is any in there!

If you got the best tool set HF has you may be good to learn on. There are many threads on here about starter sets. Two things we all pretty much agree on - get a good grinding station - 8" slow speed grinder with a wolverine arm or something similar. (Wolverine seems standard). And find a club (check the AAW site) they generally provide mentoring and can help with a lot of issues, like trying a new tool before buying it yourself.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

10. Thats the lathe I started on. Its a great lathe for the money. Rockler sells an extension for it if you ever need one. I got the extension so I could make 12" peppermills and bore them on the lathe. It lacks a bit of power. I know they say it has a 10" swing but it struggles to spin a blank larger than 6". Learn is limitations an stay within them and its a fine machine. The tools you got, as long as you didn't get the really cheap carbon steel set, are pretty decent. Ive upgraded most of mine since but still use a couple of them.

Your going to spend a ton of money in the near future buying accessories and other needed goodies. Start focusing on a sharpening system. Even doing small projects like the shifter knob, your tools are going to be dull very soon and dull tools are dangerous.

Congrats on your new toy. If your anything like me, the rest of your tools will see minimum to no use from here on out!

Welcome to the Creek! What part of the mitten are you from?
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Here's the knob after two coats of Honey Pine stain and two coats of Wipe On Poly. It looks pretty good. I'm still considering burning the shift pattern on the end of it, but eh who knows. I am noticing cracks that are starting to grow on the end of the knob. This piece of wood must have been sitting in my garage for 5+ years. I've only lived in the house for 3, but the guy who owned it before me had a lathe and made furniture. So I'm a little surprised that it's drying and cracking. It's really interesting to see that people turn green wood. I always thought you had to really dry the stuff before even considering working with it.

I jumped into this without thinking about some of the additional tooling I'll need. I will have to buy a grinder setup in the near future, otherwise I'm sure turning with dull tools is not fun.

I'm originally from Bay City, MI, but now I'm located near Pontiac, MI.
    Last edited by Andrew Little; 06-08-2015 at 3:07 PM.

Any suggestion on a good grinder? I'm seeing a lot of options. I'll search the forums too.

http://www.amazon.com/RIKON-Power-To.../dp/B00H2B78YG also available from highland, woodcraft, etc... Woodcraft used to sell basically the same thing under their own brand which is what I've had for several years. Its served me well. Getting something of significantly higher quality starts to drive the price up rather quickly.

A lot of folks (myself included) add the wolverine sharpening kit (http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/125...nding-Jig.aspx), its nice because you can get consistent grinds on your gouges . If nothing else an upgraded rest is nice because the one that comes with it is a bit tin can like

The trick with green turning is that it allows the wood to move some during drying. Of course there are a ton of tricks to minimize movement and/or cracking during the proces (boiling, DNA, soap, etc...). How much and in what ways the wood moves and how thin you should take it is some of the art (or in my case luck and windage ).

Thanks for the reply Ryan. I discovered that grinder while doing some searches on google and this forum. I will have to get one in the near future because I have a lot of things to make for upcoming anniversaries and birthdays.